Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember when the "liquid cooled" 911's debuted...I drank the Kool Aid for all the new tech stuff and traded my air-cooled vault like built 993 cab for one...big mistake.
The good news is if you still want the more expensive stuff it can still be had on the 19 Q7
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul

- That said, you do get the leather dashboard w Lux and Q7 does not unless that Murillo interior upgrade is selected.

- Screens: I played with the touch screens in the Q8 and actually think they are without a doubt the best implementation with the haptic of any other car I tested after 6 hours at the LA auto show. I could easily get used to them and would take them over the current set up in the Q7. Would hate the fingerprints though.

- I think the biggest issue as we have discussed before is the price of this vehicle when compared to the Q7. Nothing wrong with the Q8 on its own when price is not considered. I think it looks great with Yr1 in Gray and the Navaro blue. Audi just should have stepped up a few things on the interior to make it stand above the Q7 given its cost and the "flagship" rank they want it to be. They could have done so with no affect to their bottom line and pretty sure if they had done that, none of these discussions would be happening.
- Actually for the Q8 the leather dashboard comes as part of the Prestige trim. The Q8 Luxury’s “Extended Leather Package” is only center console, center tunnel and armrests covered in leather. So, considerably less leather than the Q7s Lux. The Valcona contour with massage and Alcantara headliner is the same as the Q7 and then there’s the dual pane. I assumed the dual pane was on all the windows but never asked about that.

- I don’t have much experience with other brands touch screens but the Q8s haptic response was easy to work with, and then I tried shutting off the haptic, and that seems to be even easier. Everything is pinch, zoom and swipe like an iphone it’s a great system.

- I can’t agree with you more about stepping up a few interior details to earn the “flagship” ranking. More leather and some diamond or deviated stitching would befit the price tag more.

Since it’s smaller, sportier, and has more plastic on the interior than the Q7 I wonder why they didn’t call it a Q6. I know this has been discussed on the Q7 thread a little, but it does make you wonder. Probably so they could charge a lot more money. Q6 doesn’t sound as good.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 12-18-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The e-tron is essentially the Q6 -- apparently, there will be no IC version of the Q6. Damn.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucci
This too has been a pleasant surprise for me when driving the Q8 it "feels" a lot quicker and hard-charging than my 18 Q7. I am not sure about the 0-60 or quarter mile times but I don't race it so it matters most to me how it feels. ....and the Q8 feels good!

I have had 7 Audi's in the past 6 years, {can't catch up to you markcincinnati} I have had nothing to return the vehicles to the dealers for to fix beyond normal maintenance [except the Q8 keeps telling me the lug nuts are lose ]
I like the tech in Audi's and have optioned vehicles to get the tech, so my lack of issues is not related to me not having it. Night vision, 4-wheel steering, air suspensions, ACC all when they were first coming out.
I believe the concern about buying a car in the first year or a car built on a Monday or Friday afternoon have long gone away. "Bad" cars today are better than good cars only a handful of years ago. Yes there are still some lemons out there, probably always will be.
If you live in the USA many if not most of Audi, VW and Porsche "new" vehicles have been sold and driven around the rest of the world for a year before we get them here. Yes there are a few changes that have to be made before they can be imported but I don't recall those changes as causing major issues.
I dunno about that. 1st year cars have more focus on the build, but also more errors. We bought a first year Touareg and lets just say the first year was "interesting", though the next 13 were pretty much flawless after. Overall though, even the worst car made today is less problematic than the best car of 20 years ago for the most part.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We went with a P+ Q8.

It is our 34th Audi (since 1977).

We also have had 3 BMWs.

We had, before the Q8, a 2018 SQ5 and a 2018 S4 -- both prestige. We had, on order, a 2019 SQ5 with the air-suspension -- it was slated to be in on December 5. It is still not at the dealership. We test drove the Q8 -- thinking "this is just a test drive, we're taking the '19 SQ5." We kept the Q8 out for over an hour and apparently the line of people who wanted to test drive it had grown so long that the dealer started texting us asking when we would return, they thought (as did we) that we were still going to wait for the '19 SQ5. We came back into the dealership and said "with one condition satisfied, we will take the Q8, not the inbound SQ5." The condition was that my 93-year-old mother in law could get into the back seat unaided. They said they would mark the Q8 sold (for three days) and they gave us a 2018 Q7 fully loaded to just under $79K to take to my MIL's to "test" our theory that she probably could "hop right on in." She could and we told them two days later we would go ahead with the Q8.

Orca Black
Premium Plus
Driver Assitance
Year One
Towing
Cold weather
CD/DVD
Black cloth headliner

Bottom line: $79,340.
Discounted the car $2K
Car also had AudiCare

Wait, Mark, what?? You actually purchased a new Audi without making special order (or two just to see which one looks better)???? That's crazy... (just kidding, of course...)

Congratulations on your wife's new ride.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had my Q8 for over a month and have about 3000 miles on it. Other than the major problems with the Driver Assistance Package (Q7 has the same problems) I am very pleased with the car. It is my 1st Audi though, so I can't perform comparisons to other models other than the Q7 which I had as a loaner for a week.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Big reasons for the cost cutting, the tab on Diesel-Gate is up to $6.25 Billion just for 2018, $2 Billion tacked on in 2019 and another billion in 2020 ... the tab so far is a WHOPPING $27 BILLION EUROS or $30 BILLION US!

Since 2015, the German car making group has paid more than 27 billion euros to settle investor and consumer lawsuits as well as regulatory fines and remedies tied to resolving excessive emissions levels in its diesel cars. In 2020 Volkswagen Group will see costs of about 1 billion euros related to emissions cheating, Witter told the paper.

https://www.businessinsider.com/r-vw...-paper-2018-12