Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 seconds to open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
I'm going to have to agree with JSF, that isn't normal. Based on your video, it looks like your hand is well placed for the handle to determine that you're trying to open the door. Just as another test, see what happens if you open the door with your left hand as well. Don't know if that's a solution, but it's worth a shot to see if for some reason it detects hands differently.
Thanks! I'll try that as well
Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but using my left hand and/or moving my grip to the left did not improve the fault.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update. They want $500 + to replace the driver's door sensor.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
Update. They want $500 + to replace the driver's door sensor.
aren't you under warranty?
you have a 2019 right?
or are you posting on the wrong board?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alphatero
aren't you under warranty?
you have a 2019 right?
or are you posting on the wrong board?
They have refused warranty coverage because it is a sporadic problem that didn't show up in the service bay and there are no recorded faults in the vehicle. The video does not help.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

They have refused warranty coverage because it is a sporadic problem that didn't show up in the service bay and there are no recorded faults in the vehicle. The video does not help.
Very frustrating situation, and one that needs a decent dealer to resolve.

It is the dealer that is saying that there is no fault, as they are unable to replicate the issue, nor can they find any fault codes when they scan the vehicle. In that situation, the distributor is obviously reticent to pay for a warranty repair based on the dealer's diagnosis of "no problem". This is also an area rife with user error, as evidenced by the OP. Grab the handle in a bear grip, and both the open and close sensors are being activated at the same time. Do it multiple times, and the system will shut itself off (see below) In the video, you clearly aren't doing that.

Yet the dealer is apparently happy to replace the driver's door sensor if you pay them $500. Not good.

At the very least, the dealer should be trying to work with you a little harder to get to the bottom of the issue.

Whilst the manual has a section on operating the locks, it is pretty superficial. The link below is from Hella, who are the OEM supplier. Whilst the specific example Hella are using is for a Euro Passat, the systems all work the same way (MB and BMW also use Hella systems). But I'll highlight the following section, because your video does not negate this scenario:

Deactivation of proximity sensors in the door handles

If the vehicle is parked very close to a hedge – or similar object – and locked, there is a risk of leaves/branches etc. activating the proximity sensor in the door handle. If this happens, the sensor will then try to find an authorised ID transmitter. In order to conserve battery life in such situations, the proximity sensor is deactivated for 30 minutes if abnormally frequent activations occur. If this problem occurs at the driver door, only the sensor in the driver door will be deactivated. If the rear or passenger doors are affected, these will all be deactivated together. The sensors are reactivated when the vehicle or trunk is opened using one of the sensors that is still active, or when the unlock button is pressed on the remote control.

Source: Hella
https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/T...yless-Go-3195/

At the very least, you can discuss with the dealer in a little more detail as to where the problem lies. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse

It is the dealer that is saying that there is no fault, as they are unable to replicate the issue, nor can they find any fault codes when they scan the vehicle. In that situation, the distributor is obviously reticent to pay for a warranty repair based on the dealer's diagnosis of "no problem". This is also an area rife with user error, as evidenced by the OP. Grab the handle in a bear grip, and both the open and close sensors are being activated at the same time. Do it multiple times, and the system will shut itself off (see below) In the video, you clearly aren't doing that.

Yet the dealer is apparently happy to replace the driver's door sensor if you pay them $500. Not good.

At the very least, the dealer should be trying to work with you a little harder to get to the bottom of the issue.

Whilst the manual has a section on operating the locks, it is pretty superficial. The link below is from Hella, who are the OEM supplier. Whilst the specific example Hella are using is for a Euro Passat, the systems all work the same way (MB and BMW also use Hella systems). But I'll highlight the following section, because your video does not negate this scenario:[h3]

At the very least, you can discuss with the dealer in a little more detail as to where the problem lies. Good luck.
Thanks for your analysis and recommendations. It appears the dealer is willing to troubleshoot/diagnose the problem if they could obtain authorization to proceed under warranty. I am certainly willing to consider any logical suggestions to change my lock/unlock methods to improve operation. It has been suggested that I take the keys out of my pocket and get closer to the door but, as can be seen in the video, I am very close to the door and the owner's manual indicates the door locks should work if the keys are within 5' of the vehicle. The keys are alone in my left pocket and there is nothing blocking them. The fact that I can open all other doors other than the driver's, seems to indicate an anomaly and my best estimate is the handle sensor. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that any problems that cannot be duplicated or seen at the dealer with no in-vehicle recorded faults are not covered under warranty. From my experience, no multifunction diagnostic system is capable of 100% fault coverage. I wish the problem was more repeatable!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse

Whilst the manual has a section on operating the locks, it is pretty superficial. The link below is from Hella, who are the OEM supplier. Whilst the specific example Hella are using is for a Euro Passat, the systems all work the same way (MB and BMW also use Hella systems). But I'll highlight the following section, because your video does not negate this scenario:[h3]

PS: The link you provided is to an excellent article; thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for your analysis and recommendations. It appears the dealer is willing to troubleshoot/diagnose the problem if they could obtain authorization to proceed under warranty. I am certainly willing to consider any logical suggestions to change my lock/unlock methods to improve operation. It has been suggested that I take the keys out of my pocket and get closer to the door but, as can be seen in the video, I am very close to the door and the owner's manual indicates the door locks should work if the keys are within 5' of the vehicle. The keys are alone in my left pocket and there is nothing blocking them. The fact that I can open all other doors other than the driver's, seems to indicate an anomaly and my best estimate is the handle sensor. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that any problems that cannot be duplicated or seen at the dealer with no in-vehicle recorded faults are not covered under warranty. From my experience, no multifunction diagnostic system is capable of 100% fault coverage. I wish the problem was more repeatable!
I had a very similar situation on my S6 that the dealer initially provided the "issue is not repeatable, no problem found" diagnosis, but as soon as I provided video evidence, as you have done, they immediately covered it under warranty since the video was "proof" that it was occurring. I'm very surprised that your dealer is not using your video as verification that the issue truly exists when they look to Audi for warranty coverage. I would try a different dealer, as yours doesn't seem to be sufficiently customer focused.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver
I had a very similar situation on my S6 that the dealer initially provided the "issue is not repeatable, no problem found" diagnosis, but as soon as I provided video evidence, as you have done, they immediately covered it under warranty since the video was "proof" that it was occurring. I'm very surprised that your dealer is not using your video as verification that the issue truly exists when they look to Audi for warranty coverage. I would try a different dealer, as yours doesn't seem to be sufficiently customer focused.
Thanks for your experience description. The dealer was more than willing to correct the problem but Audi of America refused to authorize the repair based on the video. I suspect the door handle sensor needs to be replaced; is that what they did to correct your problem? Thanks again!