Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive Cruise Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
You can disable it by covering it up. Which happens naturally if you drive through freezing rain, for example, and your following radar will not work because it can't "see." In my BMW, it would show a popup window telling you your radar was disabled because it was blocked; in the Audi you just get an alert that ACC is unavailable.
For the record it will show you, in this case, that functionality is impaired. The 904nm lidar scanner is used mainly for intersection assist and long range acc, and thus if it's blocked acc will still work, but it just won't work as well.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
For the record it will show you, in this case, that functionality is impaired. The 904nm lidar scanner is used mainly for intersection assist and long range acc, and thus if it's blocked acc will still work, but it just won't work as well.
Good to know. In the Q7, at least my Q7, when the front radar and sensors were blocked ACC just stopped working.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doc H
Good to know. In the Q7, at least my Q7, when the front radar and sensors were blocked ACC just stopped working.
That system was radar based only.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Q8 has the issue too

My Q8 has the same problem, but a bit worse. The cruise control never worked, and it would randomly go through a list of unavavilable services that were related to the driver’s assist. It is the laser module but since replacing that, they cannot get the car to recalibrate. The dealership has had the car for about a month now. They are doing a great job trying to help, they’ve given me a loaner the full-time. Audi engineers are meant to be coming in from out of town to sort it out today. I’ve noticed major inconsistencies with the drivers assist on this Audi, my last Audi Worked much better. Fingers crossed that they fixed my Q8!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbibridges
My Q8 has the same problem, but a bit worse. The cruise control never worked, and it would randomly go through a list of unavavilable services that were related to the driver’s assist. It is the laser module but since replacing that, they cannot get the car to recalibrate. The dealership has had the car for about a month now. They are doing a great job trying to help, they’ve given me a loaner the full-time. Audi engineers are meant to be coming in from out of town to sort it out today. I’ve noticed major inconsistencies with the drivers assist on this Audi, my last Audi Worked much better. Fingers crossed that they fixed my Q8!
Thanks for your post. I have similar problems to yours. The dealer tried to calibrate mine for a week and made minimal improvements. I am about to try a different dealer, but I'll wait to see what your dealer does along with the results.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbibridges
Yikes a month?? That’s a Lemon in CA. Contact your warranty company.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair complete

Audi contacted me today to inform that my repair is complete and that my car will be delivered to me tomorrow. They changed the part that was initially the issue and finally resolved the recalibration process, which they say was the issue that took so long. I understand that they had to get some new hardware to perform the recal, and that was the major struggle for them. I’ll let you guys know what the actual reported failpoint was just in case it’s of help to anyone here. Also, my repair was completed at Audi in Baton Rouge. While I hated the time it took I am pleased with how they communicated. They made, seemingly, every effort to ensure a quality repair. As I said earlier, finger’s crossed.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm joining the chorus - my ACC and presense became unavailable a few weeks ago after driving in the snow. Didn't come back online after cleaning the sensors and lidar units multiple times. Haven't had time to take it into the dealer yet, although I let them know about the issue.

Hope it doesn't take a month to sort out. I like the Q7, but if wanted to buy a $90k SUV and then spend my time in a loaner I would have bought a Range Rover.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

See: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25293641
Old 03-26-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thanks for your post. I had the same problem that inexplicably appeared and then disappeared. This is one of many flaws in the driver assistance system.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Failure