Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Driver Assistance Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
It is my understanding that TJA tracks the vehicle in front of you (not just distance but direction).t.
That should be fun if the car in front is a lane weaver.

(I have years of experience in NYC parkway and expressway traffic jams where lane changing is an art.)

Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have gone from The Cross Island Parkway i interchange to LIE Exit #50 in the express lane on AAC. It is great. Wish I had a place to rest my right foot. It's not a hands off the wheel system in my experience. Also not sure how well it detects manics, lunatics and death wish bikers.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Traffic Jam Assist comes on at speeds south of 40MPH -- to make this happen, you need to have ACC and Lane Keeping "ON" -- you just push the button on the end of turn signal stalk and TJA is turned on. When you are in heavy traffic and you have both systems on AND are at speeds up to 39MPH the TJA comes on -- you can feel when it happens, of course, but there is a visual indication that you are in TJA mode -- you see the little green car in the dash (or on the HUD or both) and you also see several cars stacked up (also in green), then you take your foot off the pedals and hands off the wheel and the damn thing just takes over for you. When Level 3 is made US legal I believe the Q8 has all of the needed "stuff" to make this TJA not shut off after 15 seconds, it will stay on indefinitely until conditions permit speeds OVER 39MPH. It is very handy even at level 2, but you have to touch the wheel a bit to keep it alive (it keeps asking you to take over if you try to go hands-free longer than 15 seconds.)

I was told the Q8, A8, A7, and A6 are hobbled (in the US) but that it's just software that needs to be turned on or downloaded once our laws catch up with the Germans.
Hobbled because L3 semi-autonomous driving is not legal in NA.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed my Q8 seems to ping pong a good bit from side to side with lane assist on.

Had a loaner Q7 the other day that tended to keep its self centered in lane (you could see the steering wheel quickly moving back and forth - vs Q8 never see it turn one direction and quick back other to keep itself straight).

Is there an adjustment in MMI to make it center itself more.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
I noticed my Q8 seems to ping pong a good bit from side to side with lane assist on.

Had a loaner Q7 the other day that tended to keep its self centered in lane (you could see the steering wheel quickly moving back and forth - vs Q8 never see it turn one direction and quick back other to keep itself straight).

Is there an adjustment in MMI to make it center itself more.
My Q7 and the 5 Q8's i've driven all ping ponged (as do most if not all)...others on the Q7 forum have tried adjustments to no avail...the DAS stuff is still a WIP (work in progress) I'm afriad.

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-08-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Lane keep assist (icon on lower display screen) will ping pong. If you set ACC and have adaptive cruise assist with lane guidance on (end of turn signal stalk), it will more or less stay center.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Lane keep assist (icon on lower display screen) will ping pong. If you set ACC and have adaptive cruise assist with lane guidance on (end of turn signal stalk), it will more or less stay center.
Never turn acc on and mine bounces from one side of the to the other...sigh
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
That sounds like Traffic Jam Assist? So only below 39mph?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ping pongs with acc on.

I will report back when get tonise traffic jam.

The q7 loaner did not ping pong with acc
Old 01-09-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

That sounds like Traffic Jam Assist? So only below 39mph?
No. There are two systems, lane keep assist and adaptive cruise assist with lane guidance. Lane keep assist will ping pong. Adaptive cruise assist with lane guidance (set ACC and have lane guidance on by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal stalk) does not ping pong in my experience.
This video shows the difference between the two, except the image in the gauge cluster is wrong at the end. Lane guidance is active when the > < symbols are green next to the car icon.

Last edited by SYMAWD; 01-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Question