Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Flutter helicopter noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael99
I've had this issue for over a year. I find it annoying. I have not paid attention to the fuel level, but I'll start checking the fuel level when I hear it. I haven't reported it to the dealer because I couldn't replicate the issue. Now I know what to look for. Thanks.
I finally got video of mine outside the car on the passenger side underneath and showed it to the service manager. Then all of a sudden they were aware of the issue and it also happens in the A7 I think or another model.
Like I said I notice it most around half a tank and stopped at a light idling.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:48 PM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I EXPERIENCE IT OFTEN

I have a 2022 SQ8 with sport resonator and 9.6K miles and I always keep tank full or at least 3/4 and the fluttering noise occurs often; but I only hear when radio is off and I don’t find it a big deal; if there’s a fix, I’ll definitely submit it
Old 12-11-2023, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joemb239
I have a 2022 SQ8 with sport resonator and 9.6K miles and I always keep tank full or at least 3/4 and the fluttering noise occurs often; but I only hear when radio is off and I don’t find it a big deal; if there’s a fix, I’ll definitely submit it
Are you sure your noise is not a small exhaust leak from the sport resonator? Some of the port installs are not the best. I wouldn’t think you could hear the fuel tank noise when full but I could be wrong.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:08 PM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete_SQ8
Are you sure your noise is not a small exhaust leak from the sport resonator? Some of the port installs are not the best. I wouldn’t think you could hear the fuel tank noise when full but I could be wrong.
Can’t really pinpoint from where the sound is emanating, but sounds like the vents in the dash?
Old 12-12-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joemb239
Can’t really pinpoint from where the sound is emanating, but sounds like the vents in the dash?
That’s a totally different issue and there is a thread on that. It’s AC related not fuel tank
Old 12-12-2023, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem, drove me crazy first I thought its the shade cover for luggage that loose. But today I discovered when the thank is half it makes noise and as soon as you fill up the tank the noise goes away.
Now I just need to wait for tank to be half empty so can take it to the dealer to look into it. Did any one got it fixed ? any tsb I need to look into.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4ringsone
I have the same problem, drove me crazy first I thought its the shade cover for luggage that loose. But today I discovered when the thank is half it makes noise and as soon as you fill up the tank the noise goes away.
Now I just need to wait for tank to be half empty so can take it to the dealer to look into it. Did any one got it fixed ? any tsb I need to look into.
Last I knew there was no fix. I could never get me dealer to hear it. I finally captured the sound on video inside and outside the car.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2021 Q8 Noise from Fuel Tank/Fuel Pump

Hi Everyone, I have a 2021 Q8, I wanted to jump on here and say I have been dealing with my local dealer for this issue for about a year now. At first they could not hear it, nor duplicate it. Finally, I was able to pinpoint when and where it was coming from. Noise is heard when the fuel level starts dropping around or less than 3/4. I hear it when I am coming to a stop, or waiting at a light, or slowly maneuvering to park, therefore, I hear it when there is NO acceleration. I caught a great video with the car on the lift, idling in the air. Noise is heard from the passenger side fuel tank. I am suspecting a faulty/noisy fuel pump. I can physically feel the vibrations when I touch the saddle tank. I informed my local dealer and they said they will apply some rubber inserts to areas around the fuel lines, because apparently "they were tapping one another and causing a rattle noise coming from the N80 in the front of the engine, to the back passenger side where it was heard more prominently........((( https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35116-0001.pdf )))) this is the TSB they applied. It did not help this "helicopter noise". At times, if I am cruising at low speeds, (30,40), it feels like the car is starving for gas, shuddering a little, and is ready for the engine light to surface. Dealer says they can't do anything. I called corporate to open a claim, and they pushed asking me if I want a buyback, which I don't. Has anyone reported this to NHTSA?
Old 01-02-2024, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

---> Q8 has 25k miles on it
Old 01-03-2024, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 399 Likes on 340 Posts

@Q8-QUEEN if they offered u a true buy back I would take that. Did they say what they meant by buy back? sometimes that term is used when really they are just giving you a credit and also trading in your car. too me a buy back is where they give you the money you paid for the car back in full, and you walk away.

Quick Reply: Flutter helicopter noise