Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Powder coating OEM wheels? In wheel TPMS sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powder coating OEM wheels? In wheel TPMS sensors?

Need some guidance-

Searched the forums and couldn’t find any matches-

‘23 Q8 sline here & wondering if any of you have had OEM wheels powder coated? If so, are there any issues to be aware of with the tpms sensors? Any re-programming? Or is it straightforward removal and re-installation of the sensors for powder coating?

Old 06-23-2023, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

There shouldn’t be any reprogramming or anything. Your car will automatically recognize them. I put aftermarket wheels on my car with new sensors and my car immediately recognized them without issue. You’re using the same sensors so nothing is changed.
The following users liked this post:
Kilo Papa (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, no issues unless someone damages a sensor.
Kilo Papa (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

I have my SQ8 carbon optic OEM wheels being powder coated once I can take delivery of it (stuck at port now). Basically the same thing as painting a wheel which is a common practice too, just better durability of the finish vs paint.
Kilo Papa (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks all. I thought that might be the case but wasn’t sure. Sounds straight forward to remove them before powder coating then reinstall afterwards and the system should recognize the sensors.

Also guessing it would be smart to re balance wheels after PC?
Old 06-23-2023, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo Papa
Thanks all. I thought that might be the case but wasn’t sure. Sounds straight forward to remove them before powder coating then reinstall afterwards and the system should recognize the sensors.

Also guessing it would be smart to re balance wheels after PC?
I would assume they do that as part of the process of putting tires back on the wheels after powder coating if you are hiring a reputable shop since they will need to remove the tires and whatever wheel weights were on the rim prior to the painting/powder coating process happening.
DadAudi (06-23-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo Papa
Need some guidance-

Searched the forums and couldn’t find any matches-

‘23 Q8 sline here & wondering if any of you have had OEM wheels powder coated? If so, are there any issues to be aware of with the tpms sensors? Any re-programming? Or is it straightforward removal and re-installation of the sensors for powder coating?
Not to be THAT guy, but did actually you add the TPMS sensors to your wheels? I ask because the Q8 (with TPMS) uses the abs sensors vs individual wheel sensors. If you didn’t, then ya don’t have any sensors to deal with and powder coat away!
Old 06-26-2023, 12:40 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jayemko
Not to be THAT guy, but did actually you add the TPMS sensors to your wheels? I ask because the Q8 (with TPMS) uses the abs sensors vs individual wheel sensors. If you didn’t, then ya don’t have any sensors to deal with and powder coat away!
TPMS means "Direct tire pressure monitoring system". This means there are pressure sensors in the wheels. Q8 has them depending on the configuration.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a75
TPMS means "Direct tire pressure monitoring system". This means there are pressure sensors in the wheels. Q8 has them depending on the configuration.
Originally Posted by jayemko
No worries about being “that guy.” I’m here to learn which is why I asked the question.

I was aware of the possibility of ABS sensors vs traditional TPMS in the Q8 and frankly didn’t know for sure what, if anything was in the wheel, so thought I’d use the TPMS nomenclature in my Original Post for clarity.

Based on responses to my question, It appears that in either case, there should be no issue when powder coating. We’ll see what’s actually in mine when I have them powder coated.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by a75
No, it does not mean that. Please search the many threads/posts on this forum where other owners have believed that too only to find on their Q8 they don’t have individual sensors in their wheels. RSQ8 got “Direct” TPMS, Q8 uses ABS sensors (PR code 7K6, if you’re looking at the build codes for your specific vehicle).
ThomasWShea (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Powder coating OEM wheels? In wheel TPMS sensors?