Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or GLE 450

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Q8 or GLE 450

Is anyone else on the fence trying to decide between the two? They have a lot in common and some things less so. I would order one but can’t decide. I love my wife’s SQ5 except for the cramped entry and the size. The Q8 looks like it will have a low step in but solves the size issue except it’s more Coupe than SUV. Benz has a lot of neat tech.
Forgot to mention the GLE is the 2020 model.

Last edited by Ron.S; 09-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a Range Rover Velar that turning out to be a lemon.

I've got the Q8, Cayenne, W167 GLE450, and G05 X5 on my list. Cayennes are already on the ground and Q8s are in-transit. Will need to drive them all before making a decision.

The inline-6 in the Mercedes with EQ Boost is very interesting. Same with the B58 in the X5.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CipherKeys
I currently have a Range Rover Velar that turning out to be a lemon.

I've got the Q8, Cayenne, W167 GLE450, and G05 X5 on my list. Cayennes are already on the ground and Q8s are in-transit. Will need to drive them all before making a decision.

The inline-6 in the Mercedes with EQ Boost is very interesting. Same with the B58 in the X5.
Great choices and test driving is always wise. I have the same 4 on my list but BMW already has at least 3 things that I don’t like not including some negatives mentioned in reviews. Run-Flats; No Android Auto & the next Gen Tech package not available at release-but the system at delivery is upgrade ready???
The Cayenne will be a great “drivers” choice but may lack some of the comfort & tech features of the Q8. Even though the US won’t get Level 3 self driving it might be added by the owner, maybe not. One of the things that I like about Audi is the ability to make system changes. My 2018 SQ 5 was purchased before DAP was available but I was still able to add things like Traffic Signs & Lane Keep Assist anyway.
As the year progresses more info and professional reviews will add more meat! There has never been so many great alternatives.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

BMW X5 is on my short list, with possibly the hybrid version in 2020 as well. Previous BMW X5 owner, and am still impressed with the reliability of the technology and electronics in the previous X5s. My 2018 Q7 has been a great driving car, but every time I get in it I don't know if my phone will connect with MMI, if my overhead camera view will work, or if my rear hatch will randomly open. Audi has already announced that Google Earth will no longer work in my car after 2020. And that's just what I know about. Considering that the e-Tron and Q8 will be sharing this DNA, that gives me pause replacing my Q7 with another Audi. A lot of pause. I can put up with the lack of Android Auto in the BMW if I know that my critical integral systems will operate reliably. If I wanted to be surprised daily about whether my automobile electronics would work or not, I'd buy a British car.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
BMW X5 is on my short list, with possibly the hybrid version in 2020 as well. Previous BMW X5 owner, and am still impressed with the reliability of the technology and electronics in the previous X5s. My 2018 Q7 has been a great driving car, but every time I get in it I don't know if my phone will connect with MMI, if my overhead camera view will work, or if my rear hatch will randomly open. Audi has already announced that Google Earth will no longer work in my car after 2020. And that's just what I know about. Considering that the e-Tron and Q8 will be sharing this DNA, that gives me pause replacing my Q7 with another Audi. A lot of pause. I can put up with the lack of Android Auto in the BMW if I know that my critical integral systems will operate reliably. If I wanted to be surprised daily about whether my automobile electronics would work or not, I'd buy a British car.
My Audi is just the opposite....The tech is great and flawless. (Not a fan of he MMI structure) In fact after 15 months and 18000 miles there has never been a single issue despite being built in Mexico.
I’m fairly active on the Forum and haven’t seen your issues mentioned, maybe it’s just the Q7. Audi was ranked 2nd in Quality behind low volumn Equus as a car manufacturer. MB and BMW were not even close, but MB GLA issues probably caused their low rating.
Do you have a bad dealer? Have you reached out to Audi?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S

My Audi is just the opposite....The tech is great and flawless. (Not a fan of he MMI structure) In fact after 15 months and 18000 miles there has never been a single issue despite being built in Mexico.
I’m fairly active on the Forum and haven’t seen your issues mentioned, maybe it’s just the Q7. Audi was ranked 2nd in Quality behind low volumn Equus as a car manufacturer. MB and BMW were not even close, but MB GLA issues probably caused their low rating.
Do you have a bad dealer? Have you reached out to Audi?

Actually, in the 2018 J. D. Power new vehicle Nameplate IQS Ranking (Initial Quality Study - problems per 100 vehicles), Genesis ranked first, followed by Kia and Hyundai, respectively. BMW ranked #11, and Audi ranked #26 - substantially below the industry average and seventh from the bottom - although it did beat out Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover, and was just ahead of Chrysler. BMW X6 was highest ranked in the midsize premium SUV segment, for what it's worth; Audi was not ranked in the top three in any segment, although BMW was in several others. Issues mentioned for my Q7s are common in the Q7 forum, perhaps specific to the 2018. Rumored TSB for the switching overhead view, but unconfirmed by AoA for over a year now. Some have filed complaints with the NHTSA. Several complaints about soft close doors, and the "foot wave" opening of the rear hatch. I can understand these issues with a first generation, new model year, but this is Audi's mature flagship SUV. You don't get a pass for that, and the issues I have are not "one of," and are shared by many. Pending first dealer visit, and I will address then - my dealership is great. But these are not issues I should be addressing with the ('till 2019) premier SUV in Audi's lineup.

Not questioning the quality of the car, although I would rate BMW equal, and in fact my 2015 BMW X5d had a better interior in my opinion, but "quality" can be very subjective. As examples though, leather dash in the BMW, full leather seats and not partial fabric - and more design than quality: far better interior storage in the Bimmer, steering wheel controls for ACC rather than the less ergonomic separate stalk in the Audi, dash button to permanently turn off auto start/stop, a real, separate hill-hold button - deleted by Audi in US vehicles, headlight washers (only available with the Night Vision option in US Q7s), individual TPS monitors for tires, and true automatic parallel parking - advertised in the Audi but non-functional in the US. But those are more personal preferences rather than operational. I expect the safety and convenience functions in my car to be ironclad, boilerplate reliable, every single time I drive. They were in my BMW, they aren't in my Audi - and I'm not alone.

Last edited by Doc H; 09-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never had any major issues with any of my previous BMWs or Audis.

I decided to try out a Mercedes for my DD (an E43) and that's been trouble-free so far.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Actually, in the 2018 J. D. Power new vehicle Nameplate IQS Ranking (Initial Quality Study - problems per 100 vehicles), Genesis ranked first, followed by Kia and Hyundai, respectively. BMW ranked #11, and Audi ranked #26 - substantially below the industry average and seventh from the bottom - although it did beat out Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover, and was just ahead of Chrysler. BMW X6 was highest ranked in the midsize premium SUV segment, for what it's worth; Audi was not ranked in the top three in any segment, although BMW was in several others. Issues mentioned for my Q7s are common in the Q7 forum, perhaps specific to the 2018. Rumored TSB for the switching overhead view, but unconfirmed by AoA for over a year now. Some have filed complaints with the NHTSA. Several complaints about soft close doors, and the "foot wave" opening of the rear hatch. I can understand these issues with a first generation, new model year, but this is Audi's mature flagship SUV. You don't get a pass for that, and the issues I have are not "one of," and are shared by many. Pending first dealer visit, and I will address then - my dealership is great. But these are not issues I should be addressing with the ('till 2019) premier SUV in Audi's lineup.

Not questioning the quality of the car, although I would rate BMW equal, and in fact my 2015 BMW X5d had a better interior in my opinion, but "quality" can be very subjective. As examples though, leather dash in the BMW, full leather seats and not partial fabric - and more design than quality: far better interior storage in the Bimmer, steering wheel controls for ACC rather than the less ergonomic separate stalk in the Audi, dash button to permanently turn off auto start/stop, a real, separate hill-hold button - deleted by Audi in US vehicles, headlight washers (only available with the Night Vision option in US Q7s), individual TPS monitors for tires, and true automatic parallel parking - advertised in the Audi but non-functional in the US. But those are more personal preferences rather than operational. I expect the safety and convenience functions in my car to be ironclad, boilerplate reliable, every single time I drive. They were in my BMW, they aren't in my Audi - and I'm not alone.
JD Power does initial Quality....Consumer Reports follows up with longer term quality and user surveys. I was quoting CR.
The Report was Feb 2018 and ranked Audi 2nd vs BMW 3rd overall ranking. In Quality Audi was ranked 4 and BMW 5th. That’s pretty close to even. Each of us has our own individual experience and statistics don’t mean much if we get a bad one.

Last edited by Ron.S; 09-30-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CipherKeys
Live Stream at the Paris Auto Show starts in about 6 hours...
I’m leaning Benz as my first choice, Audi Q8 second based on what I know now but have to see, touch & drive them. At the price of these it would tick me off to have buyers remorse,

Quick Reply: Q8 or GLE 450