Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 - Real World Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
That's just a little less than I get with my A6 TDI for highway driving! Hope I see similar stats as your when I get my Q8.
I was pretty careful with my break-in and made sure NO ONE drove the vehicle when it came off the truck until I arrived to pick it up. I have also noticed that different driving mode settings can reduce mileage significantly.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve gotten 12.5 mpgs my last 4 tanks or so. At least 80% city I guess. Local driving is a lot of stop signs. I have 2k miles now.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
I was pretty careful with my break-in and made sure NO ONE drove the vehicle when it came off the truck until I arrived to pick it up. I have also noticed that different driving mode settings can reduce mileage significantly.
rja, aside from your break in period would you be able to share your drive selections. For example, are you driving on comfort, or do you have it individually set up, etc. Although I know the MPG numbers will vary due to commute pattern, but since it looks like you are top position on the leaderboard, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else that has theirs can achieve almost the same numbers as you while replicating your drive setup.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
rja, aside from your break in period would you be able to share your drive selections. For example, are you driving on comfort, or do you have it individually set up, etc. Although I know the MPG numbers will vary due to commute pattern, but since it looks like you are top position on the leaderboard, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else that has theirs can achieve almost the same numbers as you while replicating your drive setup.
Drive Select is in "Auto" with cruise control set to "Standard". Some of my earlier readings were with Drive Select in "Comfort". Mileage tanks with significant periods of hard acceleration. I also have engine auto-stop on and I believe that helps quite a bit in traffic. I am using 93 Octane fuel from Sams Club. I also believe a careful break-in period contributed, and I am approaching 5000 miles.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suni
Drive Select is in "Auto" with cruise control set to "Standard". Some of my earlier readings were with Drive Select in "Comfort". Mileage tanks with significant periods of hard acceleration. I also have engine auto-stop on and I believe that helps quite a bit in traffic. I am using 93 Octane fuel from Sams Club. I also believe a careful break-in period contributed, and I am approaching 5000 miles.
What been your average MPG readout?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

26mpg
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

On first full day of ownership. Drive select in 'auto', mixed highway / suburban driving, driving style - following engine break-in recommendations.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
On first full day of ownership. Drive select in 'auto', mixed highway / suburban driving, driving style - following engine break-in recommendations.

Looks good! You should continue to see significant improvement.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Average delivery mileage?

I'm leaning over the Q8 fence coming from a Q7. I know this isn't a Q7 forum but put 39k miles on it before it was totaled in a rear-end collision and had 26.7 mpg over the lifetime of the vehicle (rated 25 highway). I haven't done comparisons with other Q7's but glad to get over the highway rating for the life of the vehicle (totaled), mostly highway miles (80-90%) but there was a lot of fun along the way and some short city trips that pulled the long term down. I believe break-in is very important and took delivery of that vehicle with 9 miles on it. I'm actually headed down to the dealer tomorrow to do another once-over test drive on the Q8 and check the mileage on two in-stock vehicles that match my requirements. I'm curious what would be considered minimum/average/high delivery odometer readings? This salesman claims the dealer tends to use a single Q8 that management drives as the preferred Q8 test vehicle but am uncertain what an average delivery mileage is? I thought 9 was low but then again, I don't think they drive them to the boats but storage/staging parking lots can be huge.

What kinds of delivery mileages do US customers see? @rjabend do you recall what your delivery mileage was?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmanRAM
I'm leaning over the Q8 fence coming from a Q7. I know this isn't a Q7 forum but put 39k miles on it before it was totaled in a rear-end collision and had 26.7 mpg over the lifetime of the vehicle (rated 25 highway). I haven't done comparisons with other Q7's but glad to get over the highway rating for the life of the vehicle (totaled), mostly highway miles (80-90%) but there was a lot of fun along the way and some short city trips that pulled the long term down. I believe break-in is very important and took delivery of that vehicle with 9 miles on it. I'm actually headed down to the dealer tomorrow to do another once-over test drive on the Q8 and check the mileage on two in-stock vehicles that match my requirements. I'm curious what would be considered minimum/average/high delivery odometer readings? This salesman claims the dealer tends to use a single Q8 that management drives as the preferred Q8 test vehicle but am uncertain what an average delivery mileage is? I thought 9 was low but then again, I don't think they drive them to the boats but storage/staging parking lots can be huge.

What kinds of delivery mileages do US customers see? @rjabend do you recall what your delivery mileage was?
I believe it was in the high teens to low 20s MPG and then it has continually improved. I was amazed a couple of weeks ago when it jumped to almost 40 MPG . . . . . but then I realized I had a 40 mile an hour tail wind

Quick Reply: Q8 - Real World Fuel Economy