Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 or X5

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
ACNA discount is 6% at participating dealers as I recall. My dealer will offer 3% on any model-order or inventory.. I think a large market dealer would offer more. Like you said discounts will get better over time.
Thanks Ron.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
Thanks Ron.
Forgot to mention the loyalty discount for Audi owners and finance/lease promotions from time to time.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to mention the loyalty discount for Audi owners and finance/lease promotions from time to time.

Current Acura owner so that wouldn't apply but do they have a conquest/competing brand discount/incentive?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
Current Acura owner so that wouldn't apply but do they have a conquest/competing brand discount/incentive?
I’m not aware of one. Years ago I was shopping different brands and a dealer had some “pocket discounts” for that purpose. Not Audi though. I’m new to Audi, maybe some longer term Audi owner can help with your question.!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’m not aware of one. Years ago I was shopping different brands and a dealer had some “pocket discounts” for that purpose. Not Audi though. I’m new to Audi, maybe some longer term Audi owner can help with your question.!
Thanks, I now some brands do something like that. Until the 2019's arrive who knows what will be available. . Have a good one.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CipherKeys
X5 comes with Laser Headlights if you get the Executive Trim. Also comes with wireless Apple CarPlay.
There is a big difference between Audi Matrix and BMW Laser lights-Here is part of a Mag Article.
Audi's HD Matrix LED lights are pretty much what the name implies. They're throwing a brighter, cleaner light onto the road than traditional bulbs can. Instead of one (or two) light elements, each headlight is a matrix of 32 individually controlled LEDs. These tiny lights can be turned off independently of one another and support 64 stages of dimming.

By using a bunch of little lights, each headlight can adjust how much illumination is thrown and create segments within that projection where the light is dimmer or brighter. So if the windshield-mounted camera detects an oncoming car, the Audi can dim the light hitting that vehicle. The Audi can track that vehicle with the camera and adjust the lighting accordingly. It's basically creating a moving mask of lower intensity light onto the oncoming vehicle while the driver in the Audi still gets the benefit of bright LEDs everywhere else on the road.
It's an impressive system that took years to develop.

Thats nice about Car Play but about 82% of phones are Android vs about 18% Apple.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a big difference between Audi Matrix and BMW Laser lights-Here is part of a Mag Article.
Audi's HD Matrix LED lights are pretty much what the name implies. They're throwing a brighter, cleaner light onto the road than traditional bulbs can. Instead of one (or two) light elements, each headlight is a matrix of 32 individually controlled LEDs. These tiny lights can be turned off independently of one another and support 64 stages of dimming.

By using a bunch of little lights, each headlight can adjust how much illumination is thrown and create segments within that projection where the light is dimmer or brighter. So if the windshield-mounted camera detects an oncoming car, the Audi can dim the light hitting that vehicle. The Audi can track that vehicle with the camera and adjust the lighting accordingly. It's basically creating a moving mask of lower intensity light onto the oncoming vehicle while the driver in the Audi still gets the benefit of bright LEDs everywhere else on the road.

Thats nice about Car Play but about 82% of phones are Android vs about 18% Apple.

They're also unavailable for cars in the US right now, so here's hoping someday....
Old 10-13-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
They're also unavailable for cars in the US right now, so here's hoping someday....
The Q 8 will have them but disabled pending approval of the NHTSA. A software update will enable them or maybe an individual will be able to do it with an OBD tool. That approval could be coming soon, here’s a quote from a recent article:

Some vehicles arrive from Europe with the "matrix" part of their headlights just disabled, as opposed to removed and replaced with a fully legal setup. Case in point, the forthcoming 2019 Audi Q8 SUV. US-spec Q8s optioned in the right way will be able to take advantage of this technology with nothing more than a software update, and hopefully that's all it will take once NHTSA's petition is approved.
Before the petition is heard and either granted or denied, the notice is available for public comments. You can head to regulations.gov and file a digital comment, but you can also submit comments by mail, fax or in person. Here's hoping it gets approved, because the US could stand to update its vehicle regulations in the face of new, promising technology.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm well aware of what these systems are capable of. BMW's higher-end LED headlights have had the capability disabled on their US market models for a few years now. Guys on the BMW forums have already figured out how to enable them. Their laser lights are already capable of the same thing. Again coded off for the US market.

Hopefully, the Q8 is similar, so we can enable them with a VAG COM.

That's fine, but the majority of people at this price point seem to use Apple products. That's why brands like BMW and Porsche only support Apple CarPlay.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CipherKeys
I'm well aware of what these systems are capable of. BMW's higher-end LED headlights have had the capability disabled on their US market models for a few years now. Guys on the BMW forums have already figured out how to enable them. Their laser lights are already capable of the same thing. Again coded off for the US market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vmWggpbbM

Hopefully, the Q8 is similar, so we can enable them with a VAG COM.
That's fine, but the majority of people at this price point seem to use Apple products. That's why brands like BMW and Porsche only support Apple CarPlay.
Sorry didn’t mean to offend you but you said Laser lights so I was responding to them. BMW has had Lasers since 2014 but the Laser is not a Matrix light. It uses high intensity light (not really a Laser) and mirrors.
As far as not having Android it’s more of a concern about Google as a competitor....that’s what I’ve read who knows the real truth. Apple is more prevalent in the US and on higher end phone sales. There are no stats on Luxury car users but there are on high end phones. Last I knew, Samsung was close to Apple in high end sales and when you add the all others I don’t think it’s close.

Quick Reply: Q8 or X5