Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

RS Q8 Alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 400 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by avned
Looks like my dealer wants to replace my in tank fuel pump instead of the alternator (2-3 weeks). I explained to him about getting shutdown on the freeway and they still insisted it's a failing fuel pump. Not super excited about it.
Did they explain how they tested to ensure it was the fuel pump? Or are they just throwing parts at it to test and see? I would ask them "what if it dies again, then what are they going to do for you"?, because they are kind of asking you to take a gamble. You'll be the one driving it when it dies.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My A6 has been with the dealer for almost 2 months now. Told me its on back order... Does anyone have an update on where I can buy the alternator myself and give it to them to fix?? My car is still under factory warranty.
The following users liked this post:
MissingMyAudi (01-15-2023)
Old 11-19-2022, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 a6 altenator

Mine has been in shop for a month now, no idea when they will have an alternator, my big question is, have they updated the alternator, or is it the same as what's on there now, and will go out again....when NOT under warranty????
Old 11-19-2022, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Markpark
Mine has been in shop for a month now, no idea when they will have an alternator, my big question is, have they updated the alternator, or is it the same as what's on there now, and will go out again....when NOT under warranty????
We have conversation on this facet in the other thread. The issue is in the software, so my assumption is once that is fixed, you should be OK...
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25763681
Old 11-22-2022, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Did they explain how they tested to ensure it was the fuel pump? Or are they just throwing parts at it to test and see? I would ask them "what if it dies again, then what are they going to do for you"?, because they are kind of asking you to take a gamble. You'll be the one driving it when it dies.
Update from dealer. Now, they are finally saying it's the alternator and not the fuel pump. Bad news is there are 5 other cars waiting for it and my next update will be at the end of the month.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by avned
Update from dealer. Now, they are finally saying it's the alternator and not the fuel pump. Bad news is there are 5 other cars waiting for it and my next update will be at the end of the month.
well, best to get it fixed now. make sure they do the TSB software updates etc...
Old 12-20-2022, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Alternator Failure - Q8

My alternator failed this past weekend with "electrical malfunction" alerts until the car decided to shut down on the highway with my newborn and wife. It was formally diagnosed today where I was given the cost to repair it, $3500. The bigger issue is I'm being told there is a national shortage for this part with no ETA on receiving the part and that it could be MONTHS until they receive the alternator replacement. This is truly unbelievable and would expect Audi to have a plan b for us as consumers, as they haven't even offered a loaner car. It's mind blowing the natural expectation for us now is to just have my Q8 sit at their dealership until they decide to figure this out. INCREDIBLE

I'd love to connect with someone in this forum over the phone to get their perspective/story on how they handled it and how it's going. This seems to be a serious issue that needs to be bubbled up.

gonzo
Old 12-20-2022, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2019 Q8*
Old 01-03-2023, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo7570
My alternator failed this past weekend with "electrical malfunction" alerts until the car decided to shut down on the highway with my newborn and wife. It was formally diagnosed today where I was given the cost to repair it, $3500. The bigger issue is I'm being told there is a national shortage for this part with no ETA on receiving the part and that it could be MONTHS until they receive the alternator replacement. This is truly unbelievable and would expect Audi to have a plan b for us as consumers, as they haven't even offered a loaner car. It's mind blowing the natural expectation for us now is to just have my Q8 sit at their dealership until they decide to figure this out. INCREDIBLE

I'd love to connect with someone in this forum over the phone to get their perspective/story on how they handled it and how it's going. This seems to be a serious issue that needs to be bubbled up.

gonzo
Join the club brother -- 2019 Q8 and my alternator is shot -- Zero ETA from my dealer -- Called dealers to ask around and they are telling me they have had cars on the lot for 4+ months waiting on the part. Of course the dealer, White Allen, Audi of Dayton, has no loaner cars to speak of (probably because they know I will have it for months). Does anyone know how to go up the pole at Audi. This is unacceptable....
Old 01-03-2023, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts

Google the part number- I found one on eBay several months ago when the back order was the same.

Another option would be to call every dealership you can find and ask if they have one in stock. Apparently dealers don’t network part stock.

Quick Reply: RS Q8 Alternator issues