Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Winter Wheels Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Q8 with 285/40/r22 on order and was planning on reusing my 2017 Q7 19 OEM winter wheels for the Q8, upgrading the tires from 255/55 (-3.2% in circumference relative to the 22") to 255/60 (0% deviation). As others here already pointed out, there's a 19" OEM winter setup available in Europe, so asides from the looks (I agree that the 20" or 21" do look better, but that's not enough for me to spend $ on a new set).

I don't see anything wrong with 19", however, I'm interested in hearing if a -3.2 % error is tolerable and if others here have non-cosmetic arguments against going with a 19"?

I want Nokian's but can't find the R3s in that size, but Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV (Non-Studded) 255/60R19XL 113T BSW Tires appear to have specs close to the Q8 OEM 19" winters -- thoughts on R3 vs. 9?

https://www.tires-easy.com/255-60-19...recode/T430215
Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for everyone. So I know as I do this myself, get a new car, buy winter/snow tires and rims to swap out during the winter season. Has anyone tried the stock all season in my case from what I understand Continental tires in winter on the q8 and how do they perform? Be nice if I could eliminate snow tires from my garage in general to make room to relocate some other boxes since this vehicle is a bit wider than my current SUV so need the extra garage space. But not at the cost of safety.

Thanks.

JR
Old 05-05-2019, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My $0,02. Unless you live in Florida or a similar place, I stronly recommend winter tires. Where I live, they are even mandatory by law. And there is a reason for that. If you really need the space, your dealer/mechanic should offer the storage service; that is what I do.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rogueq8
My $0,02. Unless you live in Florida or a similar place, I stronly recommend winter tires. Where I live, they are even mandatory by law. And there is a reason for that. If you really need the space, your dealer/mechanic should offer the storage service; that is what I do.
Not Florida, Chicago so our winters can be sometimes really bad and other times 2 snows all winter but just cold.

You in Europe somewhere? I was just talking to a neighbor who is Russian and he saw me changing tires. Actually mentioned just what you said which I was surprised to hear them being required by law.

Thanks.

JR
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jriker1
Not Florida, Chicago so our winters can be sometimes really bad and other times 2 snows all winter but just cold.

You in Europe somewhere? I was just talking to a neighbor who is Russian and he saw me changing tires. Actually mentioned just what you said which I was surprised to hear them being required by law.

Thanks.

JR
Montreal, Canada. And with the kind of winters we have been getting lately i.e. lots of ice, freezing rain, drizzle and the like, even with winter tires driving remains difficult.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I was fine this winter with the new all seasons. From experience, I will need winter tires for next winter. The all seasons are really only good when new. My 1st year package came with the Hankooks. My tire place stores and switches the tires/wheels for free each spring and fall.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Florida... did someone say Florida?

We live in central FL - but make our way up to the West Virginia mountains occasionally. Next (winter) trek up, we'll probably take the Amtrak Auto Train - so little unnecessary road wear on the tires, but I would like a set to have on for winter driving.

Anyone have updated thoughts or opinions on the subject?

THANKS
Old 10-28-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just received the following reply back from TireRack about if an 18" package set would clear any brake/etc hardware.

Thanks for your inquiry.

The 18" package would clear if you specifically have a 2019 Audi Q8 Prestige model.

Cheers

Would an 18" be preferable to a 20" to maximize winter traction?

THANKS
Old 10-28-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the market for new winter tires and am totally lost. I have spoken with 4 different tire places and 2 dealerships and I never get the same answer.

The tire shops says that the Audi recommend size is 275/50R20 or 255/55R20 and that I do need TPMS. Then I spoke with an Audi Dealer and they informed me that the recommended size is 265/50R20 and that I do not need TPMS

I was pretty sure I do not need TPMS as my old SQ5 did not have it nor does my wife's Q7.

People have gone with 265/50R20 and had no issues. My issue is that there is a $300-$400 price difference between them.

Any direction would be helpful.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was wondering about the tire pressure monitoring system as well interestingly enough - and followed up with TireRack this afternoon. They just replied:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Sensors are a part of the ABS system. You don't need separate sensors in your wheels and tires.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels Tires?