Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Is the Audi R8 the same as a Lamborghini?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald.Logan
Congrats on the lifelong dream farmerjones. I hope to be in the same spot sometime in the future. It does make it pretty rewarding to get something you've always wanted. Is the V10 tough on the gas budget, especially as a daily driver?
I don't live in a town or city, and local speed limits (55 or 70) keep the average currently around 19-20 MPG I can get 25 MPG easily at 55, slightly less at 70. I think that's pretty reasonable, probably better than most 4x4 pickups for perspective. Now I'm sure more city driving would kill the average quickly.

As far as the comments made by superswiss on the AWD and handling....I have to disagree. I know he as driven an R8 extensively and owns an RS5, but......I've tracked the R8 at over 150 MPH all afternoon at the Audi Drive Experience. I have taken my R8 to multiple autocross events. I daily the R8 in all weather including ran and 4 months of snow. I don't find the behavior of the AWD power distribution odd 95% of the time. Sure, it's not perfect, but I certainly don't get the front end to wash out 99% of the time. In fact, I'd say that's this car's strong suit. There is a LOT of AWD characteristics that change depending on what mode you are in (both with Audi Drive Select and the transmission mode). Perhaps more time behind the wheel in different modes he might find a combination more suitable to his taste. I'm not trying to discredit his experience, but mine is very different.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

Just to be clear. I'm not saying the front end is washing out. The R8 has immense grip around corners. What I'm feeling is an odd pull on the front end when getting back on the throttle mid turn. I can feel that power is being sent to the front, and the car is slightly changing the line I was taking. It's going wider than it was going off throttle. I adjusted my driving style over time and delaying throttle input until after the apex which worked better, but wasn't as much fun. With my RS5 I can get back on the throttle before the apex and with the help of the active rear differential it literally slingshots itself around the apex. I can't tell that power is sent to the front wheels like I can with the R8. This sensation was bothering me about the R8. My new C63S being RWD it takes cornering to the next level with the front wheels completely inhibited so they can use all their grip for turning instead of sharing it with forward traction, and the tail is very controllable with the throttle and highly adjustable with the drive modes thanks to the electronic locking rear differential and the new 9 stage traction control system. Other than FWD based cars, the R8 is the only car so far that had a weird sensation at the front due to the power being shifted, but off throttle you can literally dive bomb this thing into a corner and it won't loose traction. It takes a different driving style that didn't appeal to me as much on the canyon roads where room is limited and a wrong move can mean heading down a cliff.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to the original post and question, the short answer is "no" and longer answer is "somewhat."
I have some reasonable amount of experience driving both the R8 and Huracan. They are dramatically different cars.

Both Huracan and R8 (this generation) use the same hybrid chassis of aluminium and carbon fiber. Both share the V10 engine, though with different tunes and slight changes between the two - Huracan consistently gets the higher power versions, and the Performante gets the highest output version possible at 640 bhp. This isn't that much more than the V10 Plus. Both have dual clutch 7 speed transmissions. But that's about where the similarities end.

The greatest differences are driving feel and engagement. This is felt in the way the cars handle and ride, steer, sound, and respond. The R8 handles very well, sharp, and responsive. If you never test drive the Huracan, you'd be extremely pleased and satisfied. If you're coming out of a sports car, the R8 feels vastly superior. If you're coming out of the Huracan then you can tell where they made changes and sacrifices in the name of civility. The R8 is plush by comparison. It's comfortable. Relaxed. Easy going, so so so chill. The Huracan Performante is not. They took out all the plush and concessions made in the suspension tuning and ride quality. The R8 can feel like a luxurious grand tourer (almost). You can drive to the grocery store and forget you're driving a super car. The Huracan never feels normal, it reminds you constantly you're in something dramatic. Interior space is cramped, the exhaust is loud all the time, there is no keyless entry. The audio system is poor. There are some key objective differences as well. Weight for example. The R8 V10 Plus is about 200 lbs heavier than the Huracan Performante.

Wife owns a 2018 TT-RS. We considered adding big brother R8. Ultimately we went with a 2019 Huracan Performante.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I spent >1h this morning driving a 640LP and did an extended test drive of a 2018 R8+ on my way home. They're close, but not "the same car" from a driving perspective.
Steering dynamics are very different, as is the suspension setup. Power delivery on the R8 is muted in comparison to the corsa mode of the LP, its still there, just not as sickeningly omnipresent.
You can see a hell of a lot better out of the R8, seats are better, interior is more collected and subdued, its a very easy transition from the '19 TTRS i drove to the dealership compared to the wild on-screen antics of the lambo's MMI.
The performance mode of the + model finally fixes the bloody understeer tendency. Steep price to pay for a supercar that doesnt choke on corner entry, as the base model seems to want to, but works like a charm.
Far as altitude, yeah, its a thing - took the TTRS to Yellowstone this year, literally passed an R8+ coupe a dozen times due to the layout of the park. Owner noticed, flipped us the bird, seemed like a perfectly nice older gentleman the first 10 times we passed him....

To its detriment, the R8 shares the useless frunk of the lambo, the lack of a hardtop convertible option (its a chassis design limitation), and for some ungodly reason, lack of lane-change warning indicators when someone occupies the USS Arizona-sized blind spots of the car.
They needed to fix the storage space situation or drop the price more. It can transport roughly three dead hamsters and one macbook air, if you kinda squish down the hamsters.
The following users liked this post:
katzjamr (11-02-2019)