Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B5 Front/Rear Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 6.5s fit in the rear doors easily?

I have never installed speakers in rear doors in other cars. Only the rear deck.

What is the advantage of rear door install over rear deck?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: I'll make my usual recommendation to forego the rear speakers

onlinecarstereo has done very well as far as being quick to ship and fair prices. i would recommend the RCE 213 or 216 (5 1/4 6 1/2 respectively) and you have the option to have them run as a component or a coax:
Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Here's my suggestion.

$250 will definitely buy you a good set of components. If you can find the MB Quart adapters, get them, and go with a 5 1/4" kit (6 1/2" might carry you over your price point for a good set of speakers). If you can't find the Quart adapters, find a reputable shop that can fabricate them at a reasonable cost (maybe $50 or less).

Then, even though you want to buy online, grab your favorite CD, and spend some time in different shops listening to different speakers in your price range. Let your ears decide for you. Make sure that the sound is not being processed, i.e., treble/bass are flat on the head unit, any EQ is turned off, the amp's bass/treble boost is turned off, etc. Listen with and without a crossover. Go in when it's not crowded and expect to spend a decent amount of time there. Once you find what you like, buy it there if the price is reasonable, or ask them to come down a little bit (there's often room to move).

Sorry that I can't give you any leads on specific models - I've been out of the market for quite some time, because my Bostons have performed so well for so long (maybe there's a hidden recommendation there!). Just be patient and be sure to audition before you buy.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 AM

Default rear door advantages

6.5's are not going to fit easily in the rear doors unless you make a custom adapter. I made one out of 1/2in MDF and I was just barely able to get the door back on. if you have Bose then you already have the right grills, otherwise you have to buy the grill from the dealer and cut a hole for the woofer. it really was a pain in the *** but the sound is that much better and finally made it worth it. i'm recommending removing the rear deck speakers because of how well the trunk is sealed off from the cabin. bunch of folks here that have subs in the trunk have had better experiences by removing the rear deck speakers. I have a JL stealthbox which requires removing the rear speakers and I think the engineers felt the same way. the two holes give a nice way for the bass to enter the cabin...

if you dont have the necessary means to do the rear doors, i'll have to agree with the guys below and recommend putting 5.25's up front, and just take the rear speakers out and use the sub. if you can add the rear speakers... my passengers in the rear always complained about too much bass until i had speakers in the rear doors. the components up front will not be enough to reach the back...
Old 02-03-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: B5 Front/Rear Speaker Questions

I think a good 4" component in the front along with a good coaxial speaker in the back is fine. Some say that components in the back is a waste..

Here are the ones that are really good for the buck!<ul><li><a href="http://Rockford%20speakers.">http://www.crutchfield.com/i-rad1cdix/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=575FNP2414</a></li></ul>
Old 02-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Rest In Peace

Default You'd really recommend a 4" over a 5 1/4"?

I can't see any reason for doing so. Even if the Quart adapters are unavailable, any shop should be able to make a pair of adapters for a small amount of money. I've never heard anyone suggest that 4 inchers sound better than 5-and-a-quarters, so I'm curious to know what you're basing your suggestion on.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just get the MB Quartz Q Series speakers and be done with it =)

You can find em for around $600 if you look really good online...that's half price!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Yes, and instead of buying a used A4 I should

have bought a new RS6.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Rest In Peace

LOL
Old 02-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Hey Kenobi

Do you know of any equalizers that match the red interior lights?

Also can you get 1/2 din eqs to fit?

Quick Reply: B5 Front/Rear Speaker Questions