Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad speakersound after installing an amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad speakersound after installing an amp

Hi guys,

I've connected an amp to mine RNS-E Navi so I can get sound from 4 channels (front and rear speakers) through the line outs of the rns-e. My amp is an excalibur 300.4 1200 Watt. Before installation everything (except the rear speakers) worked fine. After installing the amp the sound is very poor. It 's comming from all the speaker including the rear speaker but the volume is too low! Trying setting the volume to high doesn't help. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How are you connecting the amp to the head unit? DId you set the gains on your amp?

Sounds like it could be a very low gain setting or something wrong with the way you connected the amp. The output of the head unit is very low (probably less than 2 volts) so you'll have to turn up the gain a bit on the amp.If you're using a line output converter to conect the head unit to the amp, make sure that the gains on the LOC are set correctly too.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: How are you connecting the amp to the head unit? DId you set the gains on your amp?

Thank you for the reply.
This is how everything is connected:
I've connected the RNS-E Navi line outs (FL/RL/FR/RR) to the signal cables (ch1/ch2/ch3/ch4) of the amp and then I've connected the speakerscables of the amp to the speakerconnector of the car (which is directly connected to the 4 speakers). The remote cable is connected to the car accessories cable. The ground cable to the car chassis and the power cable directy to the battery.
I have no sub.
The gains are now set to max but the result is still the same!
Another strange thing happens when i turn the car ignation off (without truning the NAVi off) i get a hard bang from the speakers!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does the RNS-E have a remote turn on lead. I'm not sure if that's your problem but...

The remote turn on lead for the amp should be connected to the remote turn on lead from the RNS-E. I've never seen that input connected directly to acc power but that may be the source of your hard thump you're hearing. As far as your speaker problem, are you connecting that amp to stock speakers or aftermarket speakers. I'm not sure if the stock rear will handle an amplified input since they're self amplified. The fronts should be okay though. The only thing I can say is if you have another amp, try temporarily hooking that up to rule out the possibility of the amp being bad.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Does the RNS-E have a remote turn on lead. I'm not sure if that's your problem but...

May be is the amp the real problem but I'm not sure of it!?!? I'll have to look for an other amp in order to make things clearer! I'll try....

Thanks for your support HIS4
Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some thoughts...

Please give us more details? year, model, etc...etc...?

1) is your RNS-E a factory installed option...or did you add it with a plug/play harness

2) Did you vag your RNS-E for bose? Your RNS-E has a remote turn on lead.

3) Did you check all the connection in your plug/play adaptor (if RNS-E was added later)? There are a lot of issues with some of these adaptors. Alarm ground, CD changer audio ground, bose pin etc..etc. These might be the culprit.

Check with www.navplus.us for more details.<ul><li><a href="http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853">http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853</a</li></ul>
Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds like you have the line outs from the h/u connected to the rca inputs of the amp, good.

I would:
1. Wire the amp's remote turn on lead to the h/u, it has a remote-on output. This should get rid of your turn-on thump.
2. Add new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. This will ensure you bypass any filters/amps/etc that may be there.
3. Then tune your system.

If you are then still having issues, borrow another amp and try it. You may even want to replace those rear speakers with a new set. Failing that, it may be time to get an audio shop to have a look.

Good luck.