Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Dear God the SMELL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear God the SMELL!!!

Folks, I calling out, hoping there is an angel-expert somewhere who who can figure out my problem.
Here it goes... A couple of months ago a moldy/mildew smell began filling my 2002 225Q Roaster.
Did a bit of water probably get in it sometime, either from rain, wet feet or the like?
Probably.
Has it been really hot/humid this summer, especially in the street, where I park my car?
Yep.
OK, but saying all that, it should NOT smell like a fifth graders locker -- it it dank.
Is there some hose, drain, ANYTHING that could be causing this problem? I've had the car detailed. I've steam cleaned it myself. I've covered everything with mold remover and still I can't get rid of the smell. (The smell is either emanating from the ragtop or the floor...honestly, I can't tell now..and I fear it has soaked into everything, making it harder to find the source.)
So wondering..

Any one know if any hose, drain, ANYTHING that could be causing this problem, not related to the rain?

If it is rain/leakage, does anyone have any detailing tips for doing hardcore work? bleach? plutonium?

Any ideas?

Please and THANK YOU!!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This might not work, but a moisture meter could help the search??

Use the meter to find the source of the water, or high level of moisture. Usually used in home inspections FYI.

IB
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd suggest a schematic of where the drains are for your top. One or two might be plugged.

You'll have to find the source of water entering the car. Are your windows fogging up also? Water in the car will be warmer than the outside air so the insides of the windows will fog up.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd the windows fogging, this would indicate there is moisture in the car...

could it also be a dead animal? you said you parked on the street, a dead rodent could be decaying somewhere. i don't think you'd get a strong smell of mold/mildew without being able to detect moisture somewhere obvious, so i'm not so sure thats what it is.

also, did you sniff the air vents? could be something in there, too.

it's hard to say without being there, sorry.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Take out the seats and pull up the carpet...

Odds are you'll confirm that there is water pooled up there. Next step is to find the source. Check on the TT forum for drain tubes and the like. I know on the A4 there is a drain tube at the bottom of the battery tray, and when that plugs, you'll get water under the carpet in the cabin. Odds are someone on the TT forum has already experienced a similar issue. Anyway, once you've found the source, I would fix the problem, yank out the seats, pull up the carpet, clean everything out and let it dry out for a few days. Some kind of anti-bacterial type cleaner might be a good idea, but once you get mold spores in your car, it's really really really hard to prevent it from coming back. Introducing any moisture back into the car will cause some limited "blooming" of the mold.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My brother may have a solution for you.......

He sells a product called OdorCon & Odorid
to the RV Industry that solves odor problems when it comes into contact with the odor causing bacteria.
His name is Tom and his phone:775-841-1566.
Roger