Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

finished up a new prius this afternoon.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished up a new prius this afternoon.....

owner doesn't care about her car too much, but likes it clean. She just did an NC -> DC run and back, car was bugged up to hell in the front. So, totaly debugging, wash (incl. engine bay, pillars, door jambs, I wipe off everything), wax, interior wipe down/clean, vacuum, glass cleaned (a LOT of glass in that car!), and black trim/tires dressed. Right under 2 hours, a record for me. I quoted her 95, she was so impressed, wrote me for 130.

Question is, I'm new to the charging $ game in detailing. I have a list of services, but usually quote people based on teh time I think it would take to tackle the job, given what they want. I usually take my time, but I can do just as good work more quickly. Is that an outrageous price, too little, just right?

FWIW, on my gallery link, other clients/charges:
FULL PC polish/wax/carpet clean + all the rest on a GS400 and charged $185.

That Z71 was filthy, FULL deal again, took 3 days, charged $350.

So, what say you, fee-chargers out there?<ul><li><a href="http://www.pbase.com/mfd164/ultimate_details">a few of my clients</a></li></ul>
Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'd say you're pricing it about right.

My guess is...that woman wouldn't have seen the difference if you did a full PC on the outside. As far as she was concerned, the car is clean or it's not, and you returned it clean. I wouldn't raise the price for the job you did on her car...seems about right to me. I think her expectation that it should cost more might have been unrealistic.

The other jobs are about right as well based on the descriptions.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default k thanks.

she had bug eyes when she saw it, very pleased. I was pretty impressed how well it came out. It's a taupeish, brownish, mocha color, kinda flat looking. Being it's not her pride and joy, I used Meguirs NXT wash and NXT wax. Easy stuff to use, doesn't last long at all. Griots/Lexol on the interior, and I'm experimenting with an off brand quick detailer that has some carnauba in it, for the windows inside. No real reason other than to experiment, maybe it will have some anti-fog properties. It was very easy to use, no streaks left, hmmm.....

Car came out gorgeous, I was very surprised. It drives weird though, you think it's not so much a car.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ever consider using something long lasting for the paint?

I can't imagine any customer that wouldn't be disappointed if their $130 vanished in 3 weeks or less (no beading, dirt sticks to the paint as if they never had the car detailed, etc.). And on the other side of that...I would think the similar customer would be impressed if the beading held up for 6 mos. Whatever it takes to keep 'em coming back...it is word of mouth and repeat business that you're after.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hit me up I can help you with the pricing element
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah I've tried a lot of things from off the shelf pastes to Blitz to hmm a couple others....

none seem to last very long around here. The Blitz lasts a long time on my car simply b/c I keep it clean in between, it's garaged, I dont drive it in the rain much if at all, etc. Any suggestions? If it's a wonderful product I'd use it for myself too and not worry so much about cost.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett last a long time link inside

<ul><li><a href="http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php">http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php</a</li></ul>
Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that sounds very appealing, thanks. Any ideas about using it over top of a carnauba or other...

like the NXT I'm already using? Just wondering...
thanks again, this is my new favorite forum
Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jeffs goes under a carnauba. If laid on top it will not last or work for that matter.

Honestly I would just keep on layering the synthetic, synthetics out these days give a very warm look imho and dont need to be topped