Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

got ceramic coating quotes for my new '23 Q5... $1750 to $3200(!!!) from 5 shops

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default got ceramic coating quotes for my new '23 Q5... $1750 to $3200(!!!) from 5 shops

Out of the dozens of auto detailing shops that offer ceramic coatings in my town, I picked out 5 that had Google Reviews above 4.7 stars.(and at least 300 reviews or more each)

I stopped by 3 last week and 2 more this week. All seemed very nice and their shops were what one would expect for places with such good reviews.

However, I was shocked when the quotes got higher and higher. $1750, $2200, $2500, $1900, $3200. (yes, three thousand and two hundred Dollars) For my '23 Q5 that had only recently gone through the break-in period.

Three of them told me that the prices were based on the size of the SUV. Even if I brought in a Toyota Highlander, it would be the same price. The remaining two were at least honest about the fact that they charge a few hundred more because I showed up in a new Audi.

Are those price ridiculous or not? My own Audi dealer offered ceramic coating to me when I was taking delivery. The only wanted $999... which now seems very reasonable to me.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

The place that did my PPF had two prices. Ceramic alone was $1,200. If you did full PPF (that’s what I did) then they cut the price to $650. They use Xpel Fusion.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 140 Posts

To compare apples to oranges you need to understand what processes are followed. At the top end is a full paint correction regimen to remove swirls, orange peel, etc. before cleaning and pepping for proper ceramic adhesion. For an investment of a couple hundred bucks, you can DIY with results lasting 2 years or more.

as you are likely aware, ceramic helps your paint pop”, and make it easier to clean. But rocks, debris, parking lot dings all can happen which no ceramic can offset. So, is the thousand $$ investment worth it?
The following users liked this post:
RCPrato (06-08-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

What part of the country are you located in? The top Ceramic Pro installer in LA area is Polished Protection in Signal Hill. They do top notch work. Full multi-stage paint correction, 5 coats of Lifetime Ceramic Pro Gold Package. I get a discount since I'm a multi-car customer, but it's ~ $2k for Q5. More if you also add PPF. They use Xpel. I skipped the PPF since it's a lease.

It's well worth having it properly done.

Personally, I have the ability to do it myself, but I'd rather save the time/effort, pay the pro and have a full warranty on the coating.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
To compare apples to oranges you need to understand what processes are followed. At the top end is a full paint correction regimen to remove swirls, orange peel, etc. before cleaning and pepping for proper ceramic adhesion. For an investment of a couple hundred bucks, you can DIY with results lasting 2 years or more.

as you are likely aware, ceramic helps your paint pop”, and make it easier to clean. But rocks, debris, parking lot dings all can happen which no ceramic can offset. So, is the thousand $$ investment worth it?

As calber92 and huntpsu1 point out, first need to determine what you want, who will do it and whether it is worth it:
  • If to prevent chips, only PPF will help
  • If to make care easier to clean and enhance paint, ceramic coating does wonders

To evaluate/compare pricing, need to clarify whether all installers performing the same work.
Whether you want PPF and/or ceramic, paint correction must to be completed first - irrespective whether the car is new or new to you.

Then consider cost and whether it’s worth it.
  • How long to you intend to keep the car.
  • Yes, if you have the time, you could apply ceramic on your own as more products have become available for the non-pro enthusiasts.
  • Yes, a pro job will cost and it seems crazy to spend $$$, but face it - we are already overpaying for an Audi.

For me, the PPF was definitely worth it. Seeing paint chips every time I washed previous cars that I keep 10 years (I don’t go to car washes) bothered the crap out of me — and after 9 years, there are a few tiny tears in the PPF. I’ve posted how Xpel has saved me costly repairs, Also, 9 years ago, good ceramic products were limited to pros, but that’s no longer the case. If you have a pro apply, there are products you could top off/maintain with. (After washing with ONR, I apply Opticoat Hyperseal - people think my car is brand new)

My two cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by AMDG75:
galaxys (06-05-2023), RCPrato (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

I have PPF on front clip, cost $2K and offers the protection to keep paint looking good for long haul, ceramic coating will make the paint have depth and a crazy shine but will still chip.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PPF on front clip, cost $2K and offers the protection to keep paint looking good for long haul, ceramic coating will make the paint have depth and a crazy shine but will still chip.