Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

help with clearing up black paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with clearing up black paint

I received my 06 S4 on 11/26, black exterior. The car was with the dealer for a week before I was able to get it. Apparently, it sat unmolested until I was ready to get it. Of course, the day before I was to get it, the dealership had their guys "prep" the car, which was to include washing, claying, and waxing.

I got the car, and it looked fine outdoors (slightly overcast, mid-morning). I thought they actually did a fine job. Over the first two weeks of possession, however, I realized that they hadn't done the job I thought they did. Now that I've had the car for a little more than two months, I'm frustrated.

There are numerous fine swirls in the hood, and some areas appear hazy under the flouescent lights in my garage. It only has this appearance when I stand in front of the car and look toward the windshield; standing behind the windshield and looking out over the hood, the imperfections are not noticeable. I wonder if these imperfections were created when they tried to buff off the adhesive used when wrapping the car for shipping?

Any ideas for removing these imperfections? Since I've had the car, I used Blackfire cleaner followed by the paint protectant step, as directed. The imperfections were still apparent after using these products, so I tried to buff them out with Griot's Fine Hand Polish, but there has really been no improvement. This is so aggravating--the car has 1100 miles on it and the hood looks like crap.

I am open to any suggestions for the forum, though I am reluctant to use an orbital polisher since I have no prior experience and don't want to risk ruining the paint any more than it already is. Should I use a cleaner such as Mother's or Mother's scratch remover?

Help.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Default If they are truly

fine swirls, which they probably are, they will most likely need a PC to get them out. Getting swirls out by hand would require as much buffing as the karate kid.

I would probably also stop hitting the hood with all kinds of products as well. They are all pretty similar and one wont work any magic really.

Since you dont want to go the whole PC route DIY, my advice would be to seek out a pro detailer and see what kind of prices you can get on an exterior only detail and go from there. Good luck
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If they are truly

thanks...what's a pc?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 PM

a machine polisher--- random orbital