Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Mildew Odor in the car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mildew Odor in the car...

OK Guys... For the past few days, I've been getting a mildew smell in my car. At first, I thought it was just some clothing and gym bag but the smell continued. I looked around for the smell but no matter what I tried, I couldn't find the source.

Finally, I found out where it was coming from. The Headliner (esp. on the side) smells of mildew. After looking around, I found out that the only way it could've gotten there is through the sunroof. I don't ever explicitly remember leaving the sunroof open but I may have left it cracked in the 'up' position overnight.

Question... What's the best way to get rid of this smell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------
'01 1.8TMS
'02 1.8TQMS
Old 09-27-2002, 04:25 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First verify that the sunroof drain channels are not blocked.

Leaving the roof cracked probably wouldn't let enough water inside to cause a mildew problem. Even if water seeped inside, the drain channels should take care of it. Open the roof, and drop water into each of the 4 drain channels (one on each corner of the roof). If the water backs up then you need to blow some pressurized air in there to clean out the drain channel.

Next, I would recommend removing the headliner to dry out the headliner, and make sure there is nothing remaining that is retaining the headliner. The hardest part of removal is removing the A, B, and C pillars. The rest is a matter of unscrewing the oh-**** handles, and popping out any maplight clusters, etc., then the headliner should pop right out. Clean it up, let everything air dry, and reassemble.