Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Please help: Slight clearcoat scratches / swirls

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help: Slight clearcoat scratches / swirls

Hi,

Somehow I've got some minor hand buffing swirl marks / scratches in my clearcoat.

The recommended local detailer wants $125 (exterior detail) plus about $25 to buff out the swirls.

I don't mind putting in the work, but can anyone please recommend the right product technique to try to fix before going to the detailer?

I do have a Porter-Cable 5" random orbit sander with the buffer/polisher pad. However, I'm thinking by hand might be better.

In the past, my four step technique was to hand wash, Maguilar paint cleaner, Maguilar polish and S2000 carnuba wax.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Default the swirls will be difficult to remove by hand...

Try the LEAST abrasive methods first, of course. Menzerna Final Polish or Intensive Polish would be a good starting place, depending on how deep the swirls are.

I am just now getting my Porter-Cable and Lake Country inventory in this next few days, but for now, you can check out Detailers Paradise for a good assortment of pads should you need them.

I would use a "harder" wax, personally. Some prefer the appearance of a carnauba but I like the Klasse line for a harder acrylic shell on the paint. Once you have the items buffed out, you might give the Klasse All-In-One a try, see how you like it.

I provided a product link, but I'm sorry to say I haven't had a chance to update the descriptions of the Menzerna line - I just got them in stock this week. There are other sites with that information as well, of course.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/loadcart.asp?cartid=1467">Menzerna &amp; Klasse</a></li></ul>
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Default Just used some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and it worked...

Was reading somewhere that 3M IHG was the shnitz and picked some up at a local store -- it worked. Not too much pressure using a cotton/foam applicator and the surface scratches are gone.

Still using the carnuba wax 'cause it was expensive and still got some.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 AM

Great!! Good to know for future reference!