Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Product Review: Stage One Pre-Wash

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Product Review: Stage One Pre-Wash

I've tried Stage One Pre Wash a few times this past winter weekend. Stage One is a spray on liquid that you use one the dirtiest spots of your car prior to the first rinse when washing.

Stage One lifts and loosens dirt without you having to touch the car. The obvious advantage here is that you are not grinding in dirt and grit potentially causing scratches or swirls.

Now I always use a shampoo when washing my cars because I want the lubrication it provides. And of course a good shampoo lifts dirt as well. But using Stage One before I even put a hand to the car really removed an amazing amount of grit-virtually all of it. Far more than just hosing with water. I even tried to replicate my own mix with a diluted shampoo mix. It didn't work nearly as well as Stage One.

Stage One is an almost clear, non-foaming, non-sudsy liquid. Spray a fine mist of it on a dirty car and you can watch the dirt/grit literally start to run off.

I used it on the back of my Mini Cooper S which attracts debris like a magnet. My S4 isn't much better. It works great on wheel well areas, around sills, anywhere that gets especially gritty. For me, this is going to be a boon in the winter season when I hate touching the car with the salt stuck all over it. Even with a soaking and shampoo filled mitt it can still cause scratching. Stage One will help a lot.

I had some concerns with what it does to wax durability but so far I have noticed no effects. (I have Zaino Z2 Pro on the test cars.)

Sorry I don't have pictures...the camera has died. But it was pretty amazing. What's more, it felt grit free.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stagecarcare.com/stagecarcare.asp">Stage One</a></li></ul>
Old 12-27-2004, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the review.... The Irony for

me is that it seems like I would only need it in the winter, and Im not sure I can afford more rinsing out there. I try to move pretty fast (relatively speaking), and not include a lot of steps.

Then again this may be EXACTKY the solution for winter and the additional few minutes and gallons is well worth it.

Maybe im just mad cause the car is dirty.

As always, Thanks.

Tony
Old 12-27-2004, 09:54 PM

Default still happy with your black car purchase?

i had a black honda once... i never took good care of the paint on it. of course that car was a magnet for accidents. in the 4 years i had it i was in 3 serious accidents, none of them my fault. i guess after a point you just stop giving a ****...

oh wait, i was going somewhere with this...

ok, so i got a PC last week and help my gf detail her mini (white with a black top) the car looks great now, the black paint in particular. i didn't think it look oxidized before we started, but after we finished (dawn, clay, p21s cleaner, p21s wax) the car looked AMAZING.

the point in all this? get a PC, you won't regret it.

:-)

-S
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm...interesting. Might be a good option in my situation...

My S4 and 4kq are parked outside for the winter (CQ is ripped apart in the garage) so they don't often get a good, full wash. (Pittsburgh winters + washing outside = tough on the hands!) I usually go to a spray booth, never use their soap, and just rinse the cars. This may be a great option to use for my quickie jobs before rinsing. Hope it works on salt! Thanks for the tip.

--morgan
Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Actually..... shes blue,

but for all intents and purposes it may as well be black since the color is just as dark and deep. and now shes covered in ice, sand, salt and snow.

I also have a PC and I am really starting to love it, except I can't use it when its 20 deg outside.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for being the brave soul to take the first Plunge..

and reporting back the results. I have been washing my car using QEW for the last month or so and really like it.

However with recent temps only reaching mid 20's F at best, I've resorted to a Laser Wash that I find to be fine (blasting the car first in a bay).

How many times to you think one bottle could cover an entire car (B6 A4)?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't think you need if for a "whole" car....

You could....but it's best served when used on the really dirty/gritty areas like the lower sides and rear end.

I ended up misting pretty lightly. I imagine a bottle could last for a few dozen applications at least.

At first I thought the stuff was kind of pricey, but then I realized I could get away with pretty thin mists and it will probably last a while so the value will be pretty decent.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got it.. I'll order some and give a shot
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got a free sample of that at Waterfest..never used it
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Elder Member

nice find, i think i will give this stuff a shot myself