Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question...

I used a half bottle of household white vinegar in my Z7 wash solution today, and it did a great job on the water spots.

Since I usually use my car wash solution to wash my tires as well, with a tire brush, I did so again. Only after I cleaned my tires did I remember I added the vinegar this time.

I don't think it's an issue, but I figured I should ask the experts if vinegar can erode tire rubber. Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:09 PM

If its safe to eat, One can be pretty sure it won't harm your tires
Old 05-15-2004, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HOLY CRAP, YOU DID WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

j.k. you're fine

Nice ride, BTW.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Question...

I have water spots on my black A4 too. Could you please tell me in detail what you did exactly. I was told by detailers that vinegar isnt safe on the paint? What did you mix it in and how did you use it? Please include details, I really appreciate your help. Thanks !
Old 05-15-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Simple really...

I just added half a bottle of regular household white vinegar to my usual blend of 15 capfuls of Zaino Z7 and 6 gallons cold well water, mixed with a strong jet from a nozzle. Washed as usual, top/down, two sheepskin mitts, one for top, one for bottom. Back and forth motions on top panels, up and down on side panels. Blotted dry with two Big Blue microfiber drying towels. I find it better to wash later in the day, sun down, cooler air.

I reduced the spotting by about half this time, so I figure if I do this every weekend, I'll nail all the spots.

I have heard that pure vinegar, or a 50-50 water-vinegar solution, rubbed directly on the surface with mf, will also work well. But I wasn't planning a full detail today...
Old 05-15-2004, 08:50 PM

lol...thanks.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:51 PM

Good point...thanks :-)
Old 05-15-2004, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's an electric koolaid acid trip.........

and while it may feel good for a while it's not always safe and sometimes just baaaaaaaaad.

i see a lot of cavalier recommendations here to use vinegar for water spots and it's not always the best idea.

here's the deal..
food grade vinegar is 5% acetic acid and while it's great for pickling things, cooking, in salad dressing and as a household cleaner/disinfectant....it's not exactly good for your car.

most of the really nasty things that can damage your clearcoat are acidic. things like industrial fall out, tree sap, bird crap and...oh yea acid rain. these items are all just under 7 on the pH scale (mildly acidic) and when left on paint for a time will etch it or eat all the way through it.

hopefully there is a nice coat of wax protecting the clearcoat but if not these things can visibly damage auto finishes.

now acetic acid can be quite corrosive/caustic at higher concentrations. it is used in the process of making many plastics and other chemicals like acetate (film) and acid aldehyde and so on.

my concern and that of paintshops is that the vinegar will react with the paints and plastics that dominate the outside of cars and damage the shine/luster.

true, vinegar at 5-6% is dilute and mixing it with water makes it even more dilute, but it's still an acid and not good for paint.

now as for whether it works or not.....
this really depends on what's in the residue around the rim of those water spots. if you live where the water is "hard" with minerals and calcium salts dominate, then it will dissolve them...but why not just dry your car...or add a little water softener to the wash bucket/final rinse. these are the only water spots that will dissolve with vinegar.

but if the water spots are from rain then they are already "acidic" from air pollution and industrial waste and rinsing them with vinegar makes no sense at all......in fact these are the water spots that will etch the paint and vinegar just makes it worse....and doesn't dissolve them anymore than plain water anyway.

now back to bird crap...it's really not the crap that's harmful....but birds don't have a bladder, so they excrete uric acid mixed with their doo doo. when left on paint the "acid part" can etch paint. it may discolor/stain too but these poop pigments will fade after some time exposed to the sun. it's the uric acid that etches the paint.

really the best thing to use on acid rain spots and bird doo is seltzer water....this is a mineral water that is just a bit alkaline, so it will neutralize the acids and stop the corrosive process...just make sure it's real seltzer (named for the springs in seltzer germany) water club soda doesn't work.... or mix a little baking soda with tap water and apply.

for those of ya who think vinegar is so great for water spots, have ya tried coca cola? it's the real thing....and the fizz is soooo helpful.

oh yea your tires....yes the vinegar will oxidize the surface and "brown" the tire...but it's really worse for all the unpainted metal surfaces near the tires....

cheers
Old 05-15-2004, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you couldn't be further from correct.....

our saliva, digestive acids, pancreatic enzymes, bile salts and liver enzymes make the things we eat "safe" and digestible.

many food products would be very harmful to tires....more so than armour all or most silicon dressings.

try this...squirt a little catsup or mustard on a side wall, leave overnight and rinse. what color is the spot now?
cheers
Old 05-15-2004, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default not so simple really

i don't know what "pure vinegar" is....all food grade vinegar (apple cider or white) is 5-6% acetic acid and mixing it 50% with water just makes 3% acetic acid. either way it's already 95% water....

"pure acetic acid" is called "glacial" acetic acid and it is very corrosive...so much so that it isn't stored in metal containers...only glass or some butyl plastics...

cheers

Quick Reply: Question...