Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Removal of holograms and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I can't say if Klasse will remove swirls but any wax, sealant or coating can be removed with a polishing compound.
Yes, according to this it will remove slight swirls, while offering lots of protection. See below.

First introduced in 1979, Klasse All In One Polish changed everything about the way people polished cars. Klasse All In One Polish will remove oxidation, minor swirls, old wax, and other surface blemishes; leaving a beautiful and deep acrylic shine. Unlike some formulas, Klasse will not penetrate or change paint.

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is a highly concentrated acrylic formula glaze for new cars and oxidation-free surfaces. High Gloss Glaze provides an additional protective layer over the All-In-One with an exceptionally brilliant mirror-like shine.

High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic.

And I've used it a few ago ago and as I remember it did remove the light swirls. But so will like you say, any polishing compound will work. I also mentioned Griot's Perfecting Cream, which is used for very fine swirls and imperfections, as I think using a less aggressive (his car is only months old) compound is more appropriate as well as safer for the clear-coat.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CQuartz and other DIY coatings are good for about 2 years then usually need to be redone. The pro ones I mentioned can be good for 5 years or longer. Generally, I'm not sure that if one has a leased car, it shouldn't be considered. There's a maintenance/convenience side to that decision if you want the car to look as good as new throughout a 3 or 4 year lease and don't have the time or inclination to periodically wax, polish or do DIY coatings.
I hear you on the maintenance/convenience issue, but I'm guessing it comes down to how much coin is available upfront and is the value there on a leased car.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you very much guys. I think I'll just have t wait till winter is over and take my car to a good detailer and get her coated.
Like I said. There's a 95% chance either I or my father in law will buy the car once lease is over. Plus, I like the car to look clean and shiny even though it is leased.
Times like this is when I wish winter would just get over asap.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

A nice thing about ceramic coatings in the winter when you are forced to use a car wash is it won't hurt the finish. Although, I stick to touchless only.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Thank you very much guys. I think I'll just have t wait till winter is over and take my car to a good detailer and get her coated.
Like I said. There's a 95% chance either I or my father in law will buy the car once lease is over. Plus, I like the car to look clean and shiny even though it is leased.
Times like this is when I wish winter would just get over asap.
Ok, but I would still wait for a reasonably warm day - whenever that is and get the Klasse All in One or even a can of wax from any auto store and after getting the car washed put on some protection from all that snow, salt, dirt and you will likely have less holograms when the Spring comes.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A nice thing about ceramic coatings in the winter when you are forced to use a car wash is it won't hurt the finish. Although, I stick to touchless only.
What exactly is "touchless?" What type of prices would a OPTICOAT PRO cost? I'm in NE NJ.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bob m
Ok, but I would still wait for a reasonably warm day - whenever that is and get the Klasse All in One or even a can of wax from any auto store and after getting the car washed put on some protection from all that snow, salt, dirt and you will likely have less holograms when the Spring comes.
Okay. I'll buy klasse for now and try washing at home.

Originally Posted by bob m
What exactly is "touchless?" What type of prices would a OPTICOAT PRO cost? I'm in NE NJ.
I've heard a lot about touchless too but I have no idea what it means. I'm really curious too and I don't think we have any touchless places near where I live.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

A touchless car wash is simply one that does not use brushes or anything else that touches the paint - water and soap only.

There are many threads discussing Opti-Coat Pro Plus and Ceramic Pro 9H with pricing for various types coverage and locations. Do an AudiWorld search.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A touchless car wash is simply one that does not use brushes or anything else that touches the paint - water and soap only.

There are many threads discussing Opti-Coat Pro Plus and Ceramic Pro 9H with pricing for various types coverage and locations. Do an AudiWorld search.
Yup. I've found a guy 30 miles from where I live who does ceramic pro for $125 and paint correction at $85 an hour. That sounds kinda cheap to me. He also has mixed reviews regarding detailing. So yea. On the lookout for other detailers in IL.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Another doubt. Would it be better to let a detailer do paint correction and I do the application of a costing myself since I don't think one needs a polisher for that. Wouldn't that work out to be more cost effective?

Quick Reply: Removal of holograms and swirls