Anyone know of a good muffler shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Go the cheap route

And then when you need to do it the 2nd time, jack your car up in the street and do it yourself.

You'll have the most money that way.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're right, welding isn't that hard.....

But if you're talking about taking straight tubing and custom bending it for your application, well that is hard. Custom bending is an art in itself. One wrong bend and the whole pipe is junk. It is a lot of back and forth time between the car and the bender making tweaks as needed to get it right. I used to manage a Midas for a while and I have a guy who was excellent at it. We did all the work for Midwest Street Rods and I can tell you it's time consuming and really it's also not a money maker.

I am guessing you have a 2.7T. Even if I had a lift in my garage and was to do it on the side, I wouldn't take out 2 cats and swap in downpipes for $150.

Cheap, fast, and good. Pick 2.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Great experiene w/ Valezquez & Sons...w/ my old '93 SE-R :-)

CPT has done the Audi and Porsche exhaust, worth the money to have it done right the FIRST time and have Al and team stand behind the work.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am assuming you don't have to work hard to act like you don't know ****

because obviously you have never done downpipes on an S4.

If you are so confident that the audi shops are just ripping you off, and you are confident that ALL of us on this forum have been taken by the rues that these shops hand us, then why even ask such a question?

I am basically saying if you are so confident in the quality of work of your local rice shop, then shut the hell up and go there. Then report back about how awesome a job they do on your car.

I have a custom exhaust on my car, built by AMS, the DSM shop. Most people don't have mandrel bending equipment for 2.5inch pipe. Most people weld pieces together to make a 2.5 exhaust.

I am wondering though, you have the pipe and you have the welding skills and you are pretty confident that all these shops are crooks, so why not just do it yourself?

Either way, I frankly don't care what you do. I have been working with Al since he was one dude in a small shop. I have the utmost confidence in his work. Is he the cheapest in town? Nope. Is he the best? Yes. Does he stand behind his work? Yes. Does he have a huge amount of experience with custom built S4s? Yup.

But hey, the guys that make their living selling license plate frames, lights, and stickers to honda kids are probably just as good. Go for it.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

muffler? easy. a turbo back exhaust on an S4? pretty much same as a muffler.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Generally you get what you pay for.

I've been around this planet more than most of the folks here (well, except for No Radar) and I've rarely found an exception to the rule.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I knew you had that special touch.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Skabaru.....Get a life bro

"you are confident that ALL of us on this forum have been taken by the rues that these shops hand us, then why even ask such a question?"

"ALL"????? Never made that point. I guess you needed to fabricate that in order for you to express your angered self. Your obviously upset at the world. You need to go do something productive with your spare time. This forum is supposed to be a friendly atmosphere which people use to gather information. You, and the people like yourself, turn forums like these into crap.

"Either way, I frankly don't care what you do."

If you don't care, you should keep your rude remarks to yourself and go punch a pillow. Transgressing your frustrations onto others is no way to go about your daily life.

All you could of said was, "I have been working with Al since he was one dude in a small shop. I have the utmost confidence in his work. Is he the cheapest in town? Nope. Is he the best? Yes. Does he stand behind his work? Yes. Does he have a huge amount of experience with custom built S4s? Yup."

"I am wondering though, you have the pipe and you have the welding skills and you are pretty confident that all these shops are crooks, so why not just do it yourself?"

Don't have the equipment. Step-dad had all his tools stolen a while back.

"I am basically saying if you are so confident in the quality of work of your local rice shop, then shut the hell up and go there. Then report back about how awesome a job they do on your car."

Your basically proving to this community that you don't belong on these forums.

I'm pretty confident that their over charging for the amount of time and skill it takes to fabricate the exhaust.

Sorry for this guys remarks guys. I'm also sorry for throwing more fuel into the fire by satisfying him with a response. I have a feeling he isn't going to stop.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You're right, welding isn't that hard.....

Very true. That is the beauty of knowing people in the right places.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great experience with CPT. They use robots for welders.

At least I assume so, given the incredible welding job they did on my custom 911 exhaust. Seriously great work. I'd post pics but Al has them. If he sends me them I'll post 'em.

Perhaps I could have had it done cheaper, but I'm happy that it was done RIGHT.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a good muffler shop?