Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

AW thanks for disbanding our little family here. NICE WORK!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShowMeData
For me, it comes down to efficiency. I hate vB style forums and have never gotten traction on one because I have to make too many picks to see replies I didn't want, the threading is much weaker, and I hate that the top of the screen gets filled up with old threads that I don't care any more about (don't care if somebody posts another comment in a 3 year old thread). If I want to stick with a thread, I could track it.
you can do all that and more with vbulletin. there is a "watched topics" page in your profile that orders threads you've posted in or elected to watch. you can just browse that if you wish.

also, with vbulletin, for each thread - it is ONE click to open the thread... then all you have to do is scroll through all the responses. i can't understand why some of you think that it is easier to click each and every response to read than being able to read all the responses together on one page.

to those complaining about reading posts they don't care to - i don't understand this. are you saying that posters aren't worth reading, or that you are too lazy to scroll just past it when they're all presented in an orderly format on the same page? i'm not trying to start isht, i'm genuinely trying to understand how you guys think kawf is better than vbulletin.

if it's tradition & what you're used to - that's one thing. for some to say that kawf is easier or better, i just don't see it. there is a reason that the biggest forums in the world don't run kauf. at some point it is time to embrace the technology we have and make your lives easier.

Interesting that, with the apparent exception of Judge_ar, all those in favor of vB were virtually silent (lurkers) on kawf. I guess kawf was so bad for you that you never posted to it?
honestly, that's the reason i never frequented here. i'm just not a fan of kawf.... like i said, harder to read and if you're ever browsing from anything other than a PC at home on high-speed internet, you have many problems reading the forum.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Don fvcking Juan
Two things:

(1) People have been noting, over and over, that while the board IS founded on its members and their contributions, vB doesn't allow interaction in the same way or anywhere near as efficiently as Kawf did. THAT is what everyone is up in arms about.
can you explain to me what, exactly, was easier or more efficient about Kawf? everyone keeps saying that, but the fact is it is not easier or more efficient. it all comes down to what people have been used to, and resistance to change. fact is you can surf the boards with less clicks with vbulletin, which means less page load time. you *can* control which threads you watch with your "watched topics" section in your control panel. people just don't know much about vbulletin or how it works - and it is the ignorance to the subject that drive people away... it's a shame, but it's the truth.

(2) Have you noticed that, almost exclusively, the only folks coming to the defense of the new AW are either spanking new members (100K+ UIDs), or folks with low post counts who likely didn't post largely because they weren't a fan of the old format? The old guard is gone; AW is going to end up populated almost entirely by these new members and will become a second Audizine.
i'm one of those who never posted because i couldn't stand kawf. that doesn't make me any less important in the grand scheme, or any less-valuable of a member. i've been into the VAG scene since 1992 and have owned over 30 VAG cars. yet i would never come here because i just couldn't appreciate kawf - too hard to read. i don't want to click every reply to every thread to read. why not have one click to get everything on one page?

i'm just saying i've yet to see a single valid point about why kawf was better than vbulletin. it mostly just seems to be people afraid of change, or afraid of the unknown. vbulletin is vastly superior & more robust, i just think the masses were just used to kawf, that's all. :beer:
Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Judge AR
I think the users that are leaving, badmouthing, and just not giving it a chance are just as much to blame. This board was always defined by its users and substance, not its format.
You are not giving the people who have left much credit for being more intelligent. Most have been on other vB forums and have had lots of experience there. They came back to AW daily for the kawf and the people and the way kawf linked everyone together.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
You are not giving the people who have left much credit for being more intelligent. Most have been on other vB forums and have had lots of experience there. They came back to AW daily for the kawf and the people and the way kawf linked everyone together.
kawf didn't link people together. the community concept was made up of the people. AW was just the host. FYI...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by four
can you explain to me what, exactly, was easier or more efficient about Kawf? everyone keeps saying that, but the fact is it is not easier or more efficient. it all comes down to what people have been used to, and resistance to change. fact is you can surf the boards with less clicks with vbulletin, which means less page load time. you *can* control which threads you watch with your "watched topics" section in your control panel. people just don't know much about vbulletin or how it works - and it is the ignorance to the subject that drive people away... it's a shame, but it's the truth.

i'm one of those who never posted because i couldn't stand kawf. that doesn't make me any less important in the grand scheme, or any less-valuable of a member. i've been into the VAG scene since 1992 and have owned over 30 VAG cars. yet i would never come here because i just couldn't appreciate kawf - too hard to read. i don't want to click every reply to every thread to read. why not have one click to get everything on one page?

i'm just saying i've yet to see a single valid point about why kawf was better than vbulletin. it mostly just seems to be people afraid of change, or afraid of the unknown. vbulletin is vastly superior & more robust, i just think the masses were just used to kawf, that's all. :beer:
You will be one of those who will be supporting this forum - but it will be changed because you were not a contributor before - the major past contributors here will be like you were - they will lurk but not contribute
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
You will be one of those who will be supporting this forum - but it will be changed because you were not a contributor before - the major past contributors here will be like you were - they will lurk but not contribute
it really is a shame, because i know there were a lot of quality people here.

i just wish they would be slightly more mature about this whole thing. i don't have a dog in the fight, but watching from my perspective, seems to be a bunch of fuss about nothing really.

kudos to you for sticking around reggie. :beer:
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

can you explain to me what, exactly, was easier or more efficient about Kawf? everyone keeps saying that, but the fact is it is not easier or more efficient. it all comes down to what people have been used to, and resistance to change. fact is you can surf the boards with less clicks with vbulletin, which means less page load time.
What in God's name are you talking about?

Under Kawf I could go to a forum and see a tree for each thread, with the subject lines for every post within the thread. So a quick scan of the page would show me how many responses there had been, and the general direction of the discussion. I could then choose whether or not to click and read the posts. There was an option for that click to show either the single post or teh entire thread.

Under vBulletin I get a list of thread topics, but I have to click and read each and every fricking post to see where the thread is going. On a long thread I ahve to make multiple clicks to get to different pages.

So under Kawf, the main forum page would give me the same information that now takes more than a dozen clicks.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quote****QUOTE

it really is a shame, because i know there were a lot of quality people here.

i just wish they would be slightly more mature about this whole thing. i don't have a dog in the fight, but watching from my perspective, seems to be a bunch of fuss about nothing really.

kudos to you for sticking around reggie. :beer:
that is half the problem. Following a conversation is near impossible in vB.

You can say that teh members made up the forum. But KAWF allowed for easy conversation and to easily follow a thread. I dont know, if you didnt get KAWF then you wouldnt understand. The ENTIRE reason we came to this forum was for the software. We stayed away from AZ, NWQ, etc because it lacked the feel of AW.

Call us crybabies, but over 2500 of the regular AW users have moved on and taken their knowledge with them. Call us shallow, call us what you will, but the strong community feel was possible because of KAWF.

It would be like your favorite indie shop bought out by the dealership, and the indie mechanics had to all change over to the dealer-chains' way of doing business. They are still the same people that you have trusted, but now they wear different shirts and the shop rates tripled and you have to speak to a new manager who doesn't give a fvck about service only profits. they move locations half way across town, and they change so they can cater to the youth market.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

kawf didn't link people together. the community concept was made up of the people. AW was just the host. FYI...
you're ****ing clueless, you know that?

point is, Kawf did link people...so much so that nearly 2600 were tight-knit enough to leave. we didn't have to "deal with it" b/c we had a choice to start our own ****...which happened.

have fun over here...essentially going to be a repeat of AZ. don't be surprised when IB comes a knocking at their doorstep too.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nov. 2007?? "This board was always defined by its users and substance, not its format

Originally Posted by Judge AR
I think the users that are leaving, badmouthing, and just not giving it a chance are just as much to blame. This board was always defined by its users and substance, not its format.
LOL LOLO LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLO

yeah, write. 8-)

Quick Reply: AW thanks for disbanding our little family here. NICE WORK!