Need opinions on cell phone service providers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on cell phone service providers.

I have had Nextel for 2 years, and while the reception is great, the phone is the size of a brick, and it will cost me $$$ to upgrade. Not to mention I am getting tired of $70-$80 month bills. I hardly use the direct connect so that isnt an issue.

Two companies I am really interested in are Verizon and T mobile. Dont even mention Voicestream or Cingular- I had both of them before the name changes and they were the suck.

Also, which phones are the hot ticket? Voicestream is pushing LG phones but I have never heard of them.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Shane, are you a Mexican or a Mexican't?

Sorry couldn't resist...saw "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and it kicked ***.

Anyway, I've been happy with T-Mobile, but I have a plan that isn't available anymore...nobody offers the first incomming minute free anymore.

You might want to wait until November when the new bill that lets you transfer you cell phone number is enacted. You will the be able to change cell phone companys and keep your current number.

BTW, LG = Goldstar...remember them?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:35 PM

Default Cool thanks for the info.

Comes to find out I have an obsolete plan too. The reason it is $70/month is because I get 1000 anytime minutes. I am going to call tomorrow and see what kind of promo plans they have, and if it will be cheaper to reduce my airtime and get a new phone through them, then I might do that. At least until that bill you are talking about comes out.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Default It's worth a try...

I had a friend call AT&T to cancel service. They started offering him special plans and a free phone. Don't know if that would work for Nextel, but it's worth a try.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They ALL suck.

I had Sprint 3 years ago.....they were the worst by far when it came to customer service. Then I switched to ATT and they were good with customer service, but my reception was **** poor. Now I am with T Mobile....and they are ok, not great. I'll keep switching every year I think.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whoa....really? I haven't heard of that bill! That will change everything....

I would be changing services every 12 months for sure if I could take the number with me.

Do you have any more info on this bill?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ATT TDMA is probably the best option in FL

GSM coverage still isn't up to par with their existing TDMA coverage, plus you get full analog fall back on a tri-mode phone.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default number portability, but don't expect it to be free

Expect the original carrier who owns the number to keep charging you up to $3/mo to port the number to another provider.

I'd be very surprised if it's 100% free. They don't even let you do it with land lines. You have to pay for RCF (remote call forwarding) service if you switched from say, BellSouth terriroty into a Sprint region. Or moved over to Tampa into a Verizon area.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cell phone number portability??

I heard the consumber base was lobying for it but the cell companies were fighting it hard. Will it go into effect in November or is the bill being introduced in November?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:46 AM

dunno all the details...got my info from AWOT...they know everything.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on cell phone service providers.