Review of Mr Clean Auto Dry.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of Mr Clean Auto Dry.

Mr Clean Auto Dry is a new product that is supposed to take the towel drying step out of a car wash. It does this by filtering the water for the final rinse and minerals that cause water spots. I ordered mine about 4 months ago on the net and got it two weeks ago, you can get one today at Walmart.

Essentially it is water spraying device that has 3 settings, rinse, soap, and purified rinse. They supply soap and filters that are good for 6 washes, I think it's $19.95. It definitely steamlines the process, you can switch from soap to water to pure water instantly. As far as the quality of the car wash, it doesn't completely deliver on all the promises but it's still not too bad. The problem is on glass and chrome surfaces, the water doesn't sheet off like it's supposed to so you'll still have water spots. On the paint it works nearly perfect, just a handful of spots when it dries. On the wheels, it does a good job but again not perfect. It's worth it to take five minutes and dry the chrome, lights, and windows.

Is it worth the money? I would guess a perfectionist would be disappointed but I will probably buy it again. In cold weather, it cuts my wash time from 45 minutes to 20-25 minutes. Plus, I've always hated messing with a chamois cloth.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mrcleanautodry.com">http://www.mrcleanautodry.com</a</li></ul>
Old 12-31-2003, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question.....

I really don't care/need their soap, all that really matters is the filtered rinse water, right?

I figure one could wash their car like they normally do, and then just use the Mr Clean to rinse the car so the filtered water doesn't leave any spots. Or, do you have to use their soap to aid in the rinse "sheeting."
Old 12-31-2003, 10:22 AM

Default agreed - used mine once and.......................

it is handy having the 3 in one dispensor and I think it's great for that quick weekend wash. The only spots I found after were on the windscreen the paint was free and clear. Does nothing against the dreaded OEM brake dust but nothing short of a manual scrub down has worked very well for me anyway. I would certainly buy one as a gift and will continue to use mine for quick rinses etc.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 AM

Default from the instructions the only case it makes for their soap

is that other brands may block the dispensor. It says nothing about complementing the sheeting action so I guess you could use any thin liquid soap.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:44 AM

Default You could wash your car as normal and then use their filter for the rinsing.

Incidentally, the price includes 6 washes, I updated my post.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That is what I was thinking, just wash my car with soap and sponge as usual...

..then just rinse with Mr Clean.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:21 PM

All the water in our house is filtered, and it still leaves spots.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hah, I don't believe Mike Green would have a working water filter.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you'd need to have it softened down to 0 to not have spots

Filtering alone won't cut it. It's the crap that causes hard water that is leaving the spots. Only neutral water would be spotless when it dries, or should be.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What kind of place do you think I run here? Damn right water is filtered

But not softened, or ionized.. so it will not make a diff on the bonding properties of water to a painted surface. Doh.

Continential Audi has an ionized water source, it is not instant, they have a big tank and it fills it as it can... Jorge would know how fast it makes the water like that; he sprayed my car down once and it left nothing on my car.. Amazing.

Quick Reply: Review of Mr Clean Auto Dry.