Install a cone air filter on '90 Coupe 7A engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install a cone air filter on '90 Coupe 7A engine

Hello, i'm new here and i want to install a cone or twin cone air filter to my 7A engine. But i don't know the needed accesories to fit it, cause the air mass meter fits with the air box with no tubes, so the cone filter doesn't have anywhere to connect to. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its pretty simple... (mini write up)

#1 let me start off by saying the stock air box was built very well. It's not the weak point in the intake & I would point towards doing a B4 large MAF swap before doing the cone filter, but I did it on my last 20v so heres what I did (theres a link to an older write up I did for doing the swap at the bottom of the page, more in depth).

Kragens / Autozone / pepboys carries a "Cold air intake fender mount" that is used to bolt to the fender wall for other cars as a cold air source for the intake ($7).

It has a square base with holes on each corner and a 3" round portion (which youll use for the filter to mount to).

Unbolt the MAF from the air box, bolt adapter to MAF (youll need new hardware.. $0.95), clamp filter on adapter.

Some things to remember:

The 7A air box is right next to your exhaust manifold, so you will <U>need</U> to fabricate some heat shielding. Without the shielding you will have a <B>loss</B> in power, and have the temps creeping up in traffic.

7A intake is loud when you get on the throttle. No more sneaky acceleration (all the cops around will hear you WOT).

With the MAF so close to the air filter, I wouldnt suggest using a K&amp;N or any other oil based filters. The oils can collect on the MAF pin causing it to read incorrectly or even gunk it up enough to need a replacement. And paper based filters are about half the price if not cheaper.

"twin air filters" or "Y pipe intakes" are normally for engine compartments with the intake in the front behind the radiator and no room for a filter (chevy LS1, LT1, LS7). It would be pointless to run 2 filters on any other system outside of trying to make it look cool (which it wont).

You will show a drop in mileage if you're a spirited driver. Being light on the throttle saves the mileage but you will need to monitor your throttle usage <ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/204089.phtml">Cone air filter for $40</a></li></ul>
Old 03-24-2008, 04:03 PM
No Bozos!

Default ^ He's right

I have a "stock" style airbox which is bigger, and holds a larger panel filter. Air is ducted in from behind the grill.

Sucking in hot engine compartment air is no improvement.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd, I just went from cone back to airbox.

Couldn't be happier. That cone sounded nice at first but got reaaaaal annoying.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Its pretty simple... (mini write up)

Thanks for all, the main problem I have is to find the adaptor item needed to fit the filter with the maf, i'm from spain so i need an online shop who ships abroad. do you know any? thanks again