More pics from VIR (Audi Club and Trackdaze)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike... I'm not really sure how to take this response...

thought we were coming to terms, but why keep twisting words now to go so far as accusing me of saying that you were stealing money from people?! We've covered and covered this.

You've seem to taken my post saying "someone I know this weekend overheard a couple people complain to them that they never got their CDs" and read in to that that I said "[you] didn't deliver what we promised, didn't deliver at all, stole money from people."

Seems like you're offering to shake my hand with one hand while the other is going for a punch.

I hope you can see why I would be upset as well.

Seems you've done your research on me. Since the search isn't working I can't go back and find my posts were I said you were a "rip off." I know I've said in the past that your price point doesn't work for me and compared it to someone that offers the same service for a different sport I participate in at a lower cost that seemed almost TOO CHEAP for what he was offering.

I can't sit here and brag about how much I've donated in money or product. Frankly, I don't have the kind of resources or disposable income that you seem to have. I participate in these event on a very limited budget, sometimes skipping out on sessions in the day based on the amount of fuel I can afford to put in the car. I volunteer with the chapter to help organize events and other things.

I'm not really sure what you want from me here. I've been trying to find some points to come to an agreement on, admitted where I've made mistakes, and apologized to people who misunderstood me.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Default found that purchase order yet? didn't think so, cause you have me...

... confused with someone else.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<yawn...stretch> OK....whut'd I miss?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Fear the Miata!

Default i've gotten to know mike and leslie first through the audi club events in chicago but later through

my affiliation with tjr....i've been afforded a great opportunity to hang out at many pro events with ian, mark, randy the farnbacher-loles team, and others....mike is a friend, and he can be a handful sometimes, but he's always been a gentleman to me, and leslie is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet....if you have your differences with them that's something for you to work out....i've had a few heated conversations with mike in the past and in the end everything works out....i will continue to support all the audi chapters as they put on the best de events period....happy thanksgiving to you and yours bluedog....hope to see you at some events in 2008....
Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default But to be fair, Mike, you don't give the full-res pic to the buyer, so

giving us the "right" to reproduce isn't too useful IMHO. The files you sell are pretty low res.

I'm not trying to harass you, but that's something that always kind of peeved me, to be quite honest. It's a biz decision on your part and I respect that, I just don't like it.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Elder Member

Default ??? Eric, we've never downgraded the quality of our files to our CD purchasers.

They are the exact same files, that come out of the camera, with no editing and manipulation whatsoever. We copy them and place them on the discs, nothing more or less. We use those same files to make poster prints, and our customers have the same ability. These are the same files we provide to Fortune 500 companies, all our clients, etc.

We manipulate the files in photoshop for larger prints, just as our customers can.

You've ordered posters from us before, so I'm sure you're aware the files are more than sufficient to do such.

Maybe you're confusing us w/ another photography company, I have no idea(?). Your wedding, a PCA event?

We're actually one of the few companies that don't downgrade the quality of our CD pics. (For that reason alone, the CD is a pretty good value when you consider you can make your own high-quality prints). Others require you to come to them to get those prints.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, that's strange. The CD I receive has photos that are 2464 x 1632, or about 2.4MB per photo.

Didn't you get the same? I would have figured those were about as high res as it gets? Maybe I'm not up on the latest technology??
Old 11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Fear the Miata!

they look pretty high-res to me....
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am sorry, Eric, but you are completely inaccurate. We use the state of the art cameras

as provide by Nikon, and we shoot them at the highest megapixel the cameras provide.

$4000 DSLR's with $8-12K lenses on each. The files are simply as big as technology allows.

Your statement is simply inaccurate an if you had some
concern over file size issues, and as we are friends, I would have appreciated it if you would have contacted me directly and not posted inaccurate info on AW.

As noted above, Eric, we use the absolute state of the art cameras. Our cameras capture 12 frames per second, and that was only offered by Canon or Nikon at up to roughly 4-5 megapixels (changed by time and brand) since the inception of digital photography.

We photograph at the highest resolution provide by Nikon's highest level available sports DSLR, the D2Hs (up to this month when the D3 came out) , and actually have a beta frame per second rate higher than the general public's due to our relationship with Nikon.

The files you mention, that come from this camera, as with ALL jpg's, are compressed. They generally range from 1.8-2.6 megabytes file size (variable due to color spectrum) and they are roughly 11-16mb when opened in photoshop. They are 300dpi at 8.2" x 5.4".

Eric, the above was the best available for sport based DSLR's until this past October/November, when Nikon and Canon released 10-11MP cameras that shoot 9-10fps DSLR's. Both companies offered higher MP cameras for over a year or so, but at frames rates WAY TOO SLOW for sports (3-5fps).

The files we provide you, when treated properly, go 60x90" with no grain when we are able to photograph at ISO 200 or lower, which is 95% of the time at track events. The same size files you get as a customer create the 20x30 and 24x36" posters you have received and we have given away at ACNA events. Nothing is done to them, and they are printed from the 300dpi 8.2 x 5.4" file that you receive.

Eric, we shoot roughly 20-30K images per event and there simply wouldn't be the time, nor is their any reason, to convert them all down to a smaller size. Even on an autobatch, the process would take extreme time, time we don't have.

Additionally, all of the images you see in Sports Illustrated, Time, ESPN Mag, etc are all photographed at the the same or similar megapixel and file we provide our customers, though sometimes in RAW format. We cannot provide a RAW format, as the general consumer cannot open proprietary Nikon RAW files (we know, we've tried).

Nike, adidas, Audi, etc all make their advertising posters from our images from files of the same size we provide you, and all customers.

Lastly, megapixels aren't megapixels. Perhaps this is where the issue you are concerned with comes in. CCD/Sensor size, processor quality and lens optical quality are what makes quality file.

We have put our 5.47MP files up against 10MP Sony, Canon and Nikon point and shoots before and the results of our lower MP files were better than from the higher MP files from lessor cameras. A general Sony or similar consumer camera processor has about a .7-1% noise ratio. A pro DSLR from Canon or Nikon has a .005-.009 ration, on average.

Quoting or worrying about megapixels is like worrying about watts per channel. A $99 Kraco amp at 400 watts per channel doesn't have the sound quality or volume level of a 400watt Nakamichi or McIntosh unit.

As you have seen from other customers who posted here, file size has never been an issue.

Do you need to print larger than 60x90"?

Mike S
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default People from this forum wrote us and told us who you were. Perhaps they were wrong.

As for photos from the same angle, well, we shot no less than 14 angles at over 9 turns, so your statement is inaccurate.

We had two photographers on circuit at least half the day and one at almost all times.

As for the quality of our imagery, Audi AG, AoA, Porsche, F1, countless race teams and mags disagree with you.

We obtain two of only five US based F1 credentials, and our manufacturer work speaks for itself. Perhaps you even have some of our Audi dealer posters on your walls of your home?

Your amateur friends shooting like the links below? In our pic poster?

Mike S

http://sidelinesportsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3699107

http://sidelinesportsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2898722#155938421

http://sidelinesportsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3386445#195149512<ul><li><a href="http://sidelinesportsphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3699107">Easy link to the Laguna ALMS race samples for those who hate copy and pasting.</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: More pics from VIR (Audi Club and Trackdaze)