Heater/AC out in 85 5000s

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2000, 06:02 AM
Joseph Vanzeipel

Default Heater/AC out in 85 5000s

I was driving to school (a short drive, about a mile) when my blower would turn off briefly, then back on. It was set on the "Auto" feature at 74°F. I switched it to "Hi" and still had the same effect. On the way home, it went out for good.

My questions: Is it the blower motor out? Or is it faulty wires? Also, where is the blower motor located? I have an AT I-5 non-turbo engine.
Old 02-02-2000, 06:26 AM
DaveN

Default At the age of your car it is likely the brushes in the heater motor...

It is a PITA to fix because the motor is mounted inside the heater housing. This housing is on top of the firewall under the plastic cover between the wipers. To get it off you need to pull the wipers, the plastic cover, drain the coolent down, pull the heater hoses (they go though the bulkhead), undo the temperature control linkage, then under the dash (the big white plastic thing in the middle is the same part you saw above) pull off the ducts, and two or three (it has been a while) vaccum hoses. You can get it out without removing the dash however. Then back to on top, disconnect the strap holding it down, and pull any parts off of the bulkhead that have nuts on the heater side (they is no enough room if you don't). Then start pulling it up. The unit has double sided foam tape holding it down, so it will be hard to pull, go slow as I may have forgotten something (like the wire that plugs into the back of the motor). You then have the heater housing (it is a big thing), to pull it apart it splits vertically into two halves, which are held together by metal clips, watch out for the door control linkages as you pull it apart, the control doors will also want to fall out. You then can pull out the motor and either get another one or new brushes. Took me about 4 hours to complete this from start to finish, so not an easy task. Unless your a dedicated DIY I would not try this one. Good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2000, 07:58 AM
Rebecca Champagne

Default Re: Heater/AC out in 85 5000s

Hi! The exact same thing happened to me. For a few days afterward the heater would just blow cold air, but barely. Then one day I turned the Temp down to about 15 then turned it back up and I Had hot air again.
Old 02-02-2000, 08:25 AM
DaveN

Default Your's is a little different...

it is likely the motor inside the control unit up over the glove box. This motor controls the position of the air mix door (which mixes heated and unheated air). I had that one go out also.
Old 02-02-2000, 08:53 AM
Tom Serrago

Default Agree totally, the blower motor brushes are toast...

All to common and you are absolutely correct Dave, a royal PITA job.
Last one I installed, the motor cost me $110.00 with core from Mountain Automotive, it took me a full day to complete.
I did not have to unclip the housing in half to remove the blower motor, if you are doing the heater core then its a must.
On the passenger side of the heater housing, slide back the black plastic duct that connects from the evaporator to a fitting on the heater housing. Once the entire housing is lifted just enough to expose all screws (3 total if I recall) on the fitting, just undo the screws and remove the fitting exposing the fan motor assy. Once the electrical connector and circlip is removed from the motor, the entire assy pulls out. Just make sure you watch out for the motor spacers and plastic motor cover, as you will need to reuse.
I hope I have done my last one.

HTH

Tom Serrago
85 5KS Avant
99.5 A4 TQMS
Old 02-02-2000, 01:11 PM
Joseph

Default Re: Your's is a little different...

It did that a little while ago, but not now. It wont blow any air, cold or warm.
Old 02-02-2000, 01:32 PM
DaveN

Default Perhaps you have both...

I did after all, not at the same time though.