Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

2002 Track Videos (in car footage) !

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Track Videos (in car footage) !

Here is some in car footage taken from my Challenge car.

Note: These are in .mpg format but are not bandwidth friendly so unless you have a DSL or cable modem they will be hard to download. It may take a while to download them but I think you'll like them.

It's all in car video footage taken from my 355 Challenge and M5 club racer at Summit Point and Watkins Glen. Other cars included in the footage are 355 C's, 360 C's, a 333 SP, a Porsche 962, F40, BMW M3 GTRV6 from Europe, Radical SR3 and a NASCAR Style truck and a few other cars.

This is just a rough site and hopefully in the coming weeks I can put together a nice site and include some race footage as well from the SRF as well.

Sorry about the slow download speed hope to have the videos on a new server in the next week or so.

Regards,

Jon
95 F355 C
88 M5
SRF<ul><li><a href="http://www.webspawner.com/users/jkofodosf1/index.html">http://www.webspawner.com/users/jkofodosf1/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-14-2003, 06:18 PM

Default a few more !

<ul><li><a href="http://www.webspawner.com/users/jkofodosf1/trackdayvideos2.html">http://www.webspawner.com/users/jkofodosf1/trackdayvideos2.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-14-2003, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I recognized Summit Point..from a tape John TSR sent me...

It was the one where you pass the 944 at the beginning.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm...got to talk to Ike...

Scary when you look at a track video and recognize a bunch of cars/drivers. Looks like Trackbastards at Summit Point, and sure does look like Ike's M3GTR thingy. He's giving up all sorts of room in T10 and it'll kill his launch down the front straight, and he doesn't seem to know where the right side of his car is. I can have some fun with this. Jon...at least YOU'RE getting to the apex. Don't be afraid to use all that asphalt on the outside of the exit curbing at 10, especially if you're trying to get a roll on somebody down that the far end.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh yeah...WGI...

Watched the clip...there seemed to be some discussion going on in the car about lines at the Toe of the Boot. Driver or passenger questioned the lead car's wide line on entry. Your car then hit what most assume is a normal apex.

Clue: Don't fight gravity.

Bigger clue: Blow the apex atr the Toe...preferably by about 5-10 feet.

What am I talking about ? Easy - use your entry speed to get you up the hill, not your motor.

Take a big, square, wide entry. Use more of the concrete patch for the first 2/3rds of the corner, and intentionally miss the apex. You've got a big hill, and LOTS of camber there. Don't drive down into that well on the right (where the hill and the camber bottom out), 'cuz you just have to drive back up and out of there. Use your entry speed to slide yourself out wider and UP the hill. In a low-powered car, it can be worth 100-500 rpm at the exit, if you use ALL the pavement on the way out. In a high-powered car, it lets you get more turning done earlier, so you can unwind it sooner, so you can pull the trigger earlier. Do it right and it's worth a couple of tenths to maybe a whole second.

You owe me yet another beer.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Oh yeah...WGI...

Went out in Karson's car and he said the same thing and also added that I needed a wider line in turn 5 and turn 9 and needed to get on the power early. I have a really bad habit of early apexing at some tracks.

Matt also cut a second and half off my lap times by having me short shift into 5th at turn 2 (prior was a shift into 5th coming out of the esses). He seems to know that track pretty well.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

In defense of Ike, the track had just dried off and if I remember correctly there might have been some puddles at the apex of 10 at Summit, I seem to recall not hitting the apex well either.

I think Ike had his motor rebuilt at PTG and maybe it was making a heck of a lot more power than usual and explains some weird lines.

Another beer? What am I up to now....about a truck load. I'll just have the Budweiser guy park the truck in your yard along with the rest of your fleet. If it's the hay wagon with the clydesdales you may have to return the horses...and don't forget to clean up after them too.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 01-15-2003, 07:27 PM

thanks! I love this stuff.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Secrets...many secrets...

The Glen isn't technical like M-O, but it IS very subtle. Short-shifting at the bottom of the Esses is just one of those subtleties, as most cars are very touchy/throttle-sensitive, especially right before you cross the tunnel. Also avoid coming down too many gears for the Bus Stop - maybe 1 gear, maybe no gear. The last thing you need is a throttle-sensitive car in there and in T5, and if you come down too many gears you WILL have a really throttle-touchy car. Bad bad bad. It really helps to know where the camber changes are too. Take any opportunity to walk the track...at the Glen it's an eyeopener !

First guy on the gas is the first guy to the next corner, if mid-corner velocity is the same. If you're looking for time at WGI, be really conscious of your throttle turn-ons. Turning-in early &amp; not squaring off T5, T6 and T9 really kill your launches. The Downhill Left aka The Laces aka The Chute (T6) and the Offcamber Left (T9) are two-part turns. Turn a little, wait....wait....turn some more. Knowing where and when affects your throttle turn-on. One lap on a video screen doesn't mean diddly, but you also pinched the exit of 10. The car has to start turning at the 100 ft. board on the way in (not sooner...not later), and you need to kiss the big white exit curbing on the way out. Pinch the exit at speed and you'll find out why there are big foam blocks against the inside Armco at the exit.

Short course is a whole other exercise. I used to hate it, but the last few years I've grown fond of it. At the October Regional, we were lapping at over 100mph avg. lap speed in our little 100 hp Spec Boats. Ah...cold air does make the trip around a little shorter....

Some things...I just can't tell you. I tell students that I've taught them everything they know...but I haven't taught them everything I know....
Old 01-15-2003, 09:01 PM

Default How many beers am I up to ??

Might need to forget the 20 foot Bud truck and park the big Bud 18 wheeler in your yard.

Not too worry after 15 to 20 beers or so you'll be telling all your Glen secrets.

By the way, what's your take on all this hoopla over the new SCCA formula/CSR car that no one seems to have the faintest clue which class to run it in.

Seems a bit confusing to me. Let's see build the car....then figure out whick class to put it ??? Shouldn't they have done it the other way around.

And what the hell are they thinking putting it in FA running with ground effects cars with nearly double the horsepower. Is this to boost some of those egos for the backmarkers in FA.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I may not make it to the Glen this year since we are expecting another child in June so I hope you make it to Summit with Trackmasters or SCCA so I can settle up the beer tab and interogate you further on speed secrets.

Regards,

Jon
Old 01-15-2003, 09:43 PM

Default You think Ike's line looks off....

take a look at that yellow 911 GT3. That guy missed every apex on the track and I still couldn't catch the bugger. Guess 2100 pounds and 370 + hp means you don't need to worry about apex's.

Jon

Quick Reply: 2002 Track Videos (in car footage) !