Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Anyone else watching this ALMS race? JJ is a certified BADA$$.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else watching this ALMS race? JJ is a certified BADA$$.

Serious display of skill/insanity today, still on, tune in if your not already.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:47 PM
rbt
AudiWorld Super User

that was wildly entertaining. JJ was like Rocky who kept "getting up" off the mat!!
Old 07-25-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Agree with rbt - JJ kept coming back all day no matter how hard he got knocked back.

Some truely amazing driving through the turns - from my vantage point on the track he could take people on either the inside or outside on the turns except for Dyson who kept blocking him all day. That dude's tactics were pretty annoying ("If you can't beat him block him")....
Old 07-25-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Forget JJ..........................................

..........Chris Dyson was a bad a$$ holding a former F1 pilot at bay in a slower car (up to 1 1/2 the entire race) on inferior tires (Good Year vs. Michelin).

Must be all those years of racing "cruddy" Spec Racer Fords in the local MARRS series here in the DC area.

Gives me hope that one day I'll graduate from these "Pinto" powered tanks to something like an LMP car.

Way to go Chris. Brings back memories of watching you at Summit Point !!!!!

Regards,

Jon
SRF #2
ITS/H4 #40
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Agreed.

Lehto muscled his car the whole race to get around the Dyson guys' slower cars. And the punt move he made was pathetic. At least he was given a drive through penalty for it.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:47 AM

Default Yes (but punting and blocking???)

Great drive by Chris. I sure didn't see any blocking in the TV coverage - quite the contrary. He appeared to have drive a very clean race and put on a classic battle between power and handling. Even though JJ had the faster car, overall, he didn't have the straight line speed to get the easy pass and Chris had the drive of the race holding JJ off for so long.

On the flip side, I don't think there was any punt from JJ. The TV replays from different angels seemed to show air between the cars when the other car spun. Looked to me like a clean pass and the other guy (sorry, I don't recall who that was) just got out in the junk and lost it. Equally impressive drive by JJ coming from a deficit so many times to finally make a brilliant pass.

I thought those two put on one of the best races I have ever seen and did so cleanly, in challenging conditions with the much slower traffic.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Yes (but punting and blocking???)

On the replay it looked like there was no contact. Also, just minutes before the Panoz GT car spun in it's own oil at the same corner.

I think it was a bad call as well. JJ had the inside line, the lead by a few inches, and appeared not to have touched Leitzinger.

Regards,

Jon
Old 07-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Both JJ and Dyson said after the race they thought it was all "good clean fun" and both enjoyed

driving the event. I am glad to hear that because some of us in the area are already making plans to attend next year too
Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Bad tires

It was noted early on that the Audi had a bad tire issue, and JJ was quite vocal about it so I heard. IF (the largest word in any language) the tires had held, Dyson wouldn't have stood a chance the way Lehto was driving. But, Dyson fought a good race and he got the win. I guess one could argue that Lehto's temper got the best of him.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Looked like NASCAR

Kinda reminded me of NASCAR at Richmond, haha. I don't think Lehto deserved the penalty, he was being blocked like crazy. Suspect this was anti-Audi backlash. Steward probably drives a BMW that got dusted by an Audi on his way to the track.