Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

ATTN ReyHey (and others) - Impressions of AutoXing/Road-racing a Stage III?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN ReyHey (and others) - Impressions of AutoXing/Road-racing a Stage III?

Hiya all -

I wanted to get some impressions from you guys about racing your Stage III'd 1.8T's.

For autocrossing - how is boost response? Is the turbo just a little bit too big, just right, etc? I have a big16g'd Eclipse GSX that I think is going to be a littttle bit to big, and I wanted to see how your A4's do.

As well - if you've taken your A4 to open track days, how has that been? Does the car overheat or start to knock excessively?

Any impressions you can share with your car would really help me out - I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep my GSX, and I'm wary of modding the A4 - I don't want to break stuff!
Old 05-03-2002, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ehem...........DON'T DO IT! 8-)

Stage III was NOT for auto-x'ing, just too tight and aggressive turn'ins after heavy braking......you could count 1001,1002,100 *BOOM* boost onset would launch you after, the already early quattro acceleration point. And going into 1st gear is just a waste of time, and you'd be hitting the rev limiter, and in a split second shifting to 2nd and the next turn is staring you down.

I mean I did fairly well, against the very competative NorCal street mod folks, could maybe done better in another region?

Now a K04 kit, I bet that would fit Auto-X quite nicely!

Stage III is a Track set-up. And Rich L. could tell you about that, he did add an ATP intercooler, Not front mount, just a bit bigger than OEM. And I think he did mention Heat soak. But, nothing else that I knew of.

(if you want to compare other auto-x results 4th,5th or 6th rounds were the first w/ stg.III)<ul><li><a href="http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2001/Championship/round10.html#sm">Best Auto-X results 25 percentile overall</a></li></ul>
Old 05-03-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well...crud.

Sounds like big turbos and autocross (on a small engine, anyway) just don't mix. The K04 sounds enticing - nice torquey setup I'm sure.

maybe it's time to look into a twin turbo six?

Thanks for the answer ReyHey - I figured that was probably the case, but y'never know.

hmm...

-J
hearing nissan 300ZX's calling his name
Old 05-03-2002, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Now only if turbo onset responded as quickly as you just did...... 8-)
Old 05-03-2002, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well, I'm curious:

when does full boost hit in your car? All I've ever had a chance to notice in the GSX was second gear, and it's about 3300 or so. I've got a big16g in it (flows = ~550cfm). Boost beings building in the high 2's.

Stupid thing has a #&amp;&amp;@# wiring harness, so I"m trying to decide if I should fix it, or buy a different race car, or mod the Audi - hence the questions.

300ZX TT, another DSM, or an MR-2 Turbo...hmm!

-J
Old 05-03-2002, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the *BOOM* hit at about 3100.............

with the Sweet spot of the power curve at around 4000-6000.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Of course you can auto-x.. If the boost comes on later then

that is something you have to work with when setting up your lines.. At my first event with a manual I had soo many things going through me head.. How fast will I be goin at this turn, what rpms, will I need to shift to third here, will I be able to carry enough speed through this turn so I don't need to downshift.. And don't forget what about turbo lag (something I never had to deal with).. If you have a larger turbo then you have to set the course up with that in mind, and get on the gas earlier when leaving a turn.. It just makes the game a little more fun.. I raced my bone stock Maxima which rolled like a tire, and just worked with it.. It was a slug but I still had a blast..
Old 05-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Elder Member

Default If you ask me, it's all driver... WYSIWYG and Dingster always end up winning their auto-x, no matter

what the car

regards,
Liam
Old 05-04-2002, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Totally...

the driver is 90% of the game. But, it is still true that one setup can be better than another.

what do WYSIWYG and Dingster have on their cars?

-J
Old 05-04-2002, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dingster Stage III, WYSIWYG KO4...............

I think Dingster got Fast Time O' Day once!!
Bring it on out here to NorCal SCCA region, and run with this crowd. 8-p

Stage III does have the Power, but to try and anticipate a 2+ second lag when you are going after 1000'nts pretty hard to do. IMHO.
Given a longer course is easier, short tight ones (no wise cracks 8-)
it does take the "fun factor" a little further away.

Quick Reply: ATTN ReyHey (and others) - Impressions of AutoXing/Road-racing a Stage III?