Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Fatt at Summit Point, did you like it - get your money's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fatt at Summit Point, did you like it - get your money's worth?
Old 07-16-2000, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did one (saturday, not a Friday) and..

it was fine. There were only a few classes, and I felt that for some people in my class it was just an opportunity for hot laps while others (like me) wanted to learn. It was annoying to not have one instructor (they just get in cars each time, regardless of who they rode with last). But that may not be the norm. That may have just happened to me.

It's affordable and you get a lot of track time. I didn't know anyone, and there wasn't a common theme (like a QCUSA event is mostly Audis) that would attract people to each other. But, again, may have just been my situation.

Jon
Old 07-16-2000, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Short answer: Yes, on both.

Long answer: My original purpose for going to FATT was to learn how to drive my car. I wanted to see what my car's limits were and what I could with my S4. I believe a car is only as good as the driver behind the wheel. At FATT, I was able to measure both in a controlled environment with minimal risk to my car. I found the instructors very knowledgable and helpful, and I had a blast speeding along the track in my car. Plus I got to see how well the S4 stacked up against other cars (various Bimmers, S2000s, vettes, a viper, a Lamborghini, varous Porsches, and a supercharged A4). I'm looking forward to returning to in August.

The only downside was that I now feel the need to start upgrading my car so that I can go faster the next time I'm there.<p>2000 Nogaro S4
Broken CD player
Old 07-17-2000, 06:37 AM

Default Mixed feelings (Long)

It was hard to really concentrate on learning and driving technique because I was too busy being stuck behind Camry's, Impala's, and M3's that didn't know what 4 rings shoved up their tailpipes meant. I was disappointed that the corner workers did not display the passing flag once throughout the day. Also, the instructors in these cars did not tell the students that there was a faster car ready to pass.

Like Jon L., I had three different instructors. This is usually not a bad thing unless they are telling you conflicting information.

The first instructor (drives RX7) kept telling me my line was off (ok), and that I could/needed to pass people halfway through the passing zone - I'm not taking any trophies home so I waved off such passes. Also, he declined using the communicator that I had brought, so we spent the run saying 'huh', 'what'?

The second instructor (drives Neon) said my line was almost perfect, and didn't really give me any pointers on my driving (ok).

After talking to Bruce (head-honcho), and telling him my concerns about the instruction, he set me up with Don (chief instructor) for my third run. Wow, am I at the same school? This guy was amazing, and picked up on things that nobody has in the past. We talked for 10 minutes after the run and he seemed very genuine and knowledgeable.

Definitely a good amount a track time for the money, but I think I will try to pick my instructors in advance next time, if there is a next time.

Adam T
'00 Cactus S4
Old 07-20-2000, 08:46 PM

Default Was it Don Barrack?

That guy is great! He was ITB champ with his 8 valve golf, and he's incredibly knowledgable and helpful.

I also like Jim Thull and Neil Maddux (Maddox?). Jim is the quiet, methodical type and will help you build towards a goal: YOU tell him what you want to improve, and he'll be amazingly perceptive.

Neil will push you to go faster than you thought possible If that makes you uncomfortable, no sweat, but after a ride with him, you feel INVINCIBLE.

Any FATT has one of these three guys, and since they know I'm not an idiot, and I _LISTEN_ to them, I ask them to ride with me all day - usually its not a problem.

If there's an instructor you LIKE, ask them to ride with you all day. If they had fun with you, they will generally oblige.

Alex.