Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

I'm very disappointed with my Ecsta v700, is it possible to return/exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm very disappointed with my Ecsta v700, is it possible to return/exchange?

i bought this in january, i've heat cycled this set on a racetrack for 20mins but its more loose than my street tires in my last autox. gum doesnt even build up during autox, only small strips built up during the track event
a couple of times i've read/heard that kumho changed the compound for the new tires. anyone know who to write to? tirerack? somebody from kumho US? TIA
Old 06-03-2002, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently they still have some of the old ones around...just buy two sets
Old 06-03-2002, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm having a different problem

I've blistered the driver's side tires on my Ecsta's. They blistered about four inches from the outside edge, in the second tread area. The other three rings still have a lot of rubber left. I'm thinking the tire pressure was too high - wish I had a pyrometer.
I'm going to turn them around on the rims and see if I can get some more life out of them, don't really want to buy more tires right now.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I used my first set last weekend...

and found some interesting resutls. I was at PPIR in C.Springs for two days of regional races. Ran the Victoracers one day and the new Ecstas the next day. Ran a variety of tire pressure, since temps ranged from 55 in the morning to 95 in the afternoon. Foudn that I ran times within .015 between each days fast times. That's pretty consistent. Tire wear was MUCH better on the Ecstas, and was completely even across the tire, with only slight cupping on the inside edges.

I talked to my tire guy after the races about what I had seen. He's a VERY knowledgable guy and I think even races himself. Anyway, he's talked to Humho alot about the Ecstas. Apparently the tire likes to have lots of negative camber, like -2 degrees or more. Also, the tires should be in the 43-44lbs range when HOT. Without this, the tire my not perform to it's capabilities.

Also, I noticed the the Ecstas have better initial turn-in then the Victoracers, but need more mid-corner steering to find the right track-out point. The Victoracers are a set the steering wheel and forget it tire, where the Ecstas require more work from mid-corner out. A few other front driver racers noticed the same thing, but a rear driver did not. So your experience my vary.

As for the compound change, which is supposed to happend to the Ecstas, he can't tell me when that will happen. I will say this, though....the Ecsta's that I have dont' feel (just touching the rubber of the tire), like any of the other Victoracers I've had. Anyway, if you want more info about the Ecstas and the tire compound change, check out Kumho's website (see the link below and then click on the "Special Announcement") or contact Kumho directly at 1-888-77-kumho.

Hope this helps....
Rick<ul><li><a href="http://www.kumhotireusa.com/pages/road/road_main.htm#">Kumho Motorsports info</a></li></ul>
Old 06-03-2002, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when did you purchase them? people were telling me that Kumho changed the Ecstas after initial

market inputs. I bought this set early but didnt use them because I still have life on my 16" Victoracers. If youre getting expected performance out of the new ones maybe there were changes to the compound, well i hope that's the case although I don't want to experiment mid season.
During my last autox I didnt have problems with grip on the fronts. My rear wheels were all over the place, which is quiet weird because my car isnt (wasnt) easy to oversteer. Would have been good but I was struggling in slaloms and small esses =(.
I'll give Kumho a buzz, see what happens. thanks for the info!
Old 06-03-2002, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ed, what tire pressure were you running at the autox

I've had similar experience with oversteer. I ran 38f/34r yesterday (cold).
Old 06-03-2002, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I started 38F/38R cold. I was surprised it was oversteering

I dropped the tire pressures to 40F/37R hot and it is still oversteering =(
Old 06-03-2002, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that fits with my experience. It's kind of fun though.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not when you only get 3 runs =(
Old 06-03-2002, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got my set about three weeks ago...

Heat cycled them myself then let them sit for about a week and then raced on them. Like I said, the rubber didn't feel the same as the set of victoracers that I got the same day. Could have just been me or could have been that the compound was different. Hard to say.

Good luck....
Rick

Quick Reply: I'm very disappointed with my Ecsta v700, is it possible to return/exchange?