Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Mark Dalen & Nasa Racer...a little wager :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are you lecturing to me?

Shouldn't you be writing to organizations that encourage street cars to participate in their time trial events without the benefit of full safety gear? I've taken the initiative and am putting the gear into my own street car.

As for match racing, it's gone on at Quattro Club events, though perhaps not the ones you run. Cat-and-mouse, lap-time comparisons...it's happening, particularly among instructors. BMW CCA would never allow it, for students or instructors. If you talk about lap times at a BMW CCA school, you'd be banned for life by the chief steward. Personally, I think BMW CCA's attitude is ****. But, then, BMW CCA in NorCal probably runs the safest schools in the country.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wasn't going to say crap in this thread

"1) Don't let an inexperienced driver flog a race car"

This is probably the dumbest thing you've posted yet. Mike was out on the track, taking the same risk that we all take, and he was in a race car w/ safety equipment. He made a mistake, he knows it, learned from it, and he's back out there.

You on the other hand, continue to deny any mistakes, and ignore the advice of others.

Pete's probably going to give you an earful for this stupid comment. I'd say you earned it.

Warren
Old 04-10-2002, 04:27 PM

I'm game in this. I can be the underdog young'n of the bunch :-)
Old 04-10-2002, 07:15 PM

Default Sorry, that was a misunderstanding...

I thought Mike was a newbie trying to flog someone else's race car. I understand now that it was his own race car. My apologies to Mike and to NASA Racer.

As for my mistakes on track or here on the forum. I acknowledge the mistakes I BELIEVE I made. In the case of the rear-ender, I BELIEVE my mistake was in not leaving myself an out. I don't believe my mistake was in not tossing the car...because I believe I just didn't have the time to do it, and this belief comes from watching that video hundreds of times.

In terms of this current brouhaha, I don't believe I've made an unsafe proposition. I do believe, however, I've offended some folks by arguing the point so vociferously.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:31 PM

Default Wait till you're 25... :)

Anyone younger than that should only be allowed to drive in Formula 1.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hey Warren, they finished the 3-hour night enduro...

Mike and his buddy Derek...Mike had some problems and was getting frustrated but Roger kept him in there and by the end of his stint he wasn't going off too much (and at night on that track once a few people go off, it gets so slippery that you start to count the few laps you DIDNT drop a wheel or even 4 wheels hehehehe) and was lapping pretty consistently. Derek settled in a bit better but he didnt have to deal with the start so wasn't quite so rattled.

They did very well and Roger drove their car with their in-car video camera so they could see what he was doing...that was helpful. Even though Mike was discouraged with his performance (think they were 6th) we were happy that they finished without damaging the car and got a ton of experience.

He's come a long way from when he rolled that Civic and they've done 3 races now.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:57 PM

aww..only F1..damn I guess that'll have to do