NASA People: HPDE question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA People: HPDE question

I have limited track day experience, and I'm unsure which HPDE class I fall under.

My reason for asking is, the class I want to pick is full. Normally, I sign myself for something that I believe is likely going to be under my skill level, just to be on the safe side. Having done 4 or BMW events, and also as many, if not more track days, I am very comfortable around PMP. Thus, I think that I can be okay in HPDE 3, but don't want to risk it.

I'm comfortable at a level slightly higher than BMWCCA's B Class (like a B+, A-:P), but not enough to be on the track at the same time as say, a Mike Pedersen. I'm just not comfortable, nor experienced in free range passing, without a point by.

However, I see that someone who I have been on the track with is at HPDE 4, when I think we're really comparable in skill set.

My inclination is to start at HPDE 2, and if comfortable, move to HPDE 3. Unfortunately HPDE 2 is full for the track event I want to go to.

Would it be wise to just sit this one out?

Any idea? Advice?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

just do ett, any track day is better than none
Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here are my thoughts...

First, you can email me offline if you would like. I am the NASA RM Group 2 Leader.

Second, with 4 BMW events and an additional 4+ track days, I would say that you are a solid HPDE2 candidate and you should start there. However, you may have all the skils we (and more accurately I) will be looking for and you may get signed off for HPDE3 quickly.

Unfortunately, the next NASA event at Pueblo in May has already filled up for HPDE2 and I wouldn't want to push you into 3 if you aren't ready. I'd rather see you sit one out then get into a position that you aren't comfortable with and we wouldn't have the option of dropping you back down to 2 since it's already full. Does that make sense?

Rick
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks for the advice.

I want to go to the track NOW

but waiting is likely a better idea.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, there are alternatives...

Have you passed the Pueblo safety class or the equivelant? If so, you can go to any open track day there. The more days you have on track, the more you can improve your skills. The better your skills, the more likely you are to move up to Group 3 and sooner.

You could also do one of the Faasst Driving Schools or something similar. If you pass one of their NASA licensing schools, you can go right to Time Trial or wheel to wheel racing. In fact, that's exactly what Cody Powell did last year and finished 2nd in the NASA National Championships in CMC.

Finally, there are other clubs you can run with like BMW and others. I would encourage you to run multiple tracks to expand your experiences and skills.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Rick
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default much appreciated, again!

I have passed the PMP class. I'll look into Faasst!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
dlh
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: NASA People: HPDE question

<ul><li><a href="http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=12">http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=12</a</li></ul>