Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Need Critique of turning technique in this corner (attn:John/TSR - ErikR - MikeZ - Josh Pinkert)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1998, 12:29 PM
Joon Kim

Default I beg to differ

Yes, the a4 when driven improperly and too hard will severly understeer as do many front wheel drive cars and even rear wheel drive cars. Driven properly the A4 has proven itself one of the best cars in its class. For example in SCCA ProSolo2 it has been winning many national events, the 2WD and the Quattro.<br> When I autocross I like to Brake extremely late, aggressively, not abruptly, and trail brake equally as aggresively helping the car turn into the apex and then hitting the gas very aggressively. You'll find the car does remain more neutral under power than FWD and RWD when this is done.<br> I find I can carry a great amount of speed into the apex. Just fooling around I have 2 class wins in SCCA events using stock SP 8000 which are horrible in my opinion when they are cold.<br> You have to dive different cars differently and adapt to changing course and conditions, that's racing.
Old 10-07-1998, 12:51 PM
ErikR

Default Re: I beg to differ

Mike used to drive a Lotus, so he's used to a very different feel. Right Mike?<p>I would agree with you that the A4 is NOT an autocross pig. I have a 98.5tqm that has consistently smoked my Gstock competition with the P8000's. The only car that I haven't beat is the MR2 with R1's. But the difference is times is just an R tire away.<p>(I have some Hoosiers from my old ax car waiting for some new rims)<p>I find trailing oversteer or late braking really slows my times down, probably just driving style.
Old 10-07-1998, 01:23 PM
Steve S.

Default A Pig? Like the Oink Oink kind?

Mike, I did pretty well this weekend...with my big fat pig A4. The suspension mods really help in autox situations....that negative camber doesn't hurt either.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. The SCCA results will be in soon...lets see where Corey and I ended up...I just read the SCCA rules again...and I shoulda been in CSP-Rookie class due to the P7000SS tires.<br>
Old 10-08-1998, 12:39 AM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Re: I beg to differ

Ok Ok, . . . its probably me and not the car - we just don't "bond". I am used to Lotus, Triumphs, and a super mod Street Prepared 79 RX7 that was a killer and class champ in 4 stated (Midwest). And nobody in my class could touch me on Road Courses.<p>Also, my A4 is an Auto/Tip (MAJOR disadvantage), and the only mods (cause I am in LIMBO right now with the car) are a Stage 2 ABT chip and the wheels/tires - and those are crappy P7000SS at that. And because of my mods I run in Street Touring (to be honest and not run in Stock Class), so I am up against heavily modified (and 2 National Champs) Preludes, and a few Integras as well. So any other car I can beat in my class - but I am just not used to an Auto, let alone a 4 door and in the lower classes. Remember, in the Lotus I was in AS, and the RX7 was in ASP (back then, now it is CSP) - so I am used to go-kart type cars and lower times. As I said in the other forum, I think I have found my dream AutoX car - the "M" Coupe - just as soon as I can afford it. And NO - I am not rich, nor have rich parents. A year ago Sunday all my worldly belongings were stolen when I was being relocated by my company. So I am waiting a settlement. Needless to say, I have suffered for a year now, and its time soon to enjoy something out of it.<p>Don't get me wrong, I like the A4 a LOT! But for AutoX, its just not me