Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Is Roebling Road any fun? ACNA/Florida distributed an email about a March event.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Roebling Road any fun? ACNA/Florida distributed an email about a March event.

It's about a 7 hour drive, but it's near Savannah, which is a nice place. I've checked out videos of hot laps, and I have to confess that I'm not impressed. Maybe VIR spoils me, but Roebling seems a little featureless.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YES!

roebling is a great track...its a very fast and challenging track, don't let the track map and videos fool you...

other than the short front straight, the car is constantly in transition...roebling rewards patience and smooth driving...the new surface is nice and fast too...i hit the same top speed at roebling as i do on vir's back straight due to the amount of speed you can carry through the last turn...

i'm heading down there next week for the last race of the year and i always look forward to this event...its about a 5.5 hr tow for me and i never mind doing it...
Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Considering it's an audi event it's probably not worth the drive.

Savannah is actually a difficult track and it's fun to watch lap times tick down as you start to figure it out.

The Audi club puts a damper on things however. They offer less track time than everybody else and they spend half of the first day with painfully slow lead/follow sessions...lots of classroom, etc.

The worst part however is they use the 'bus stop' configuration on the straight. About 500 feet before the end of the straight they slow you down with a bus stop. Besides being a buzzkill by slowing you down, I think it's very dangerous. Coming out of the bus stop you can get t-boned by somebody who blew the braking zone into it.

And let's face it...coming from VIR you'll be disappointed with every aspect of RR. It is definitely a 'drivers' track and will be a humbling experience the first few times out.

I would actually recommend the drive for a BMW, PCA, or NASA event but not for ACNA.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

THX. I'm starting to think about new tracks to add to my "resume."
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Candidates that I'm contemplating: Mid-Ohio, Poconos, and the Glen...

maybe Beaver Creek also if I can talk my friend out in Pittsburgh into doing it. Figure start expanding out from DC/Mid-Atlantic area... All I got is VIR & Summit Pt on my resume.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default come up to NHIS with us in May (19-20)

there are a few 944s that run the track...
Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Watkins is one of my favorite tracks and I'd say one of the few best in North America

Mid Ohio is another fantastic track. It is lacking a bit in terms of really high speed corners, but it's still a wonderful track. I highly recommend making your way to either of them.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You mean BeaveRun? I haven't run Summit main in like 10 years. Can't wait 'til Spring.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, "BeaveRun". Dunno what I was think'n. Surprised I didn't type "Beaver Crack"... :P

... and I need to try out NASA events too. Heard they're a blast!

10 yrs ago? Could you even reach the pedals back then?!?!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't have to twist my arm to hit up BR!

It's my home-track and only 35 mins away. I'll even let you shack up at my casa if you roll up.

They have random Flat Out days during the week. Sometimes they're on the weekend, but often they're during the week which can cause issues with scheduling (stupid work gets in the way!).

Anytime!

--morgan

Quick Reply: Is Roebling Road any fun? ACNA/Florida distributed an email about a March event.