Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Someone please edu me about Carbir DS3 chassis....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please edu me about Carbir DS3 chassis....

Google seaches returns few useful webpages and all are out dated.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's their FC (Formula Continental) chassis...

Don't know much about it, as most of the FC guys I know are running Van Diemans or old Ralts.

What is it you want to know ? It looks like a lawn dart with 4 big rubber pucks on it, and a wing or two. 1 seat, no cupholders, kinda damp when you run in the rain...pretty well sums it up.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Some guys I meet in China is trying to ride alone the new racing industry.

As you know China will be on F1's list next year. The city of Shanghai has foot the bill and built a new track within 6mo (Great Wall building speed).

Since then China has been treating the racing industry very good. Too bad the size of professional racing industry in China is about the size of a lug nut.

A brand new F1 level race track with no local racing business just doesn't work. So a guy who runs a karting ring in Shanghai is working with some rich ex-ford engineer from Hong Kong to change that.

He sent me an brief e-mail about their idea to start a new formula racing business. They want to do something alone the line of Skip, and Russell. To have a school and a racing series.

I'm not sure if they decided after reseach or just out of the blue but they wanted to buy American DS3 chassis, and use local China Opel engines.

I've been offered to invest in this new company and become their test driver. I'm taking this part with a grain of salt.

Now I've no idea what level of forumla racing the DS3 is or what how it is currently being used. My reseach on google returns few information which gives me the impression DS3 is very outdated.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default uh...

Michael...what do you know about being a test driver?

That's not going to be much of an organization unless they have a pro car prep man and a pro racer running it.

I'd say that flaw alone would make it a bad investment.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:01 PM

Default I don't..

But having said all that, I'm not sure they care or will notice the difference. They are more likly more interested in in the money they like me to invest in them then my driving abilities.

You got to understand we are talking about lots of people with little or no experience in racing suddenly found a gov backed F1 race track in their back yard.

You can't blame them for dreaming. I'm not taking them seriously at all at this point, but simply helping in their effort.

I just gave you a ring 10-20min ago and no one picked up. Can I try again?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And...

...that would be a very poor choice for a school chassis. You want something cheap, strong, cheap, fixable, reliable, cheap, and easy to set up. And cheap, too.

Not to be harsh, but these guys are dopes. Look at the Skippy cars...old Crossle's and Mondials (Irish-built copies, I think). Dead simple. Fixable with a hammer and a crescent wrench.

Carbir Continental/FF2000 chassis ??? Somebody's smoking something.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:11 PM

Default You have it dead on.

Lots of money is being slashed around in the racing industry over there by people who has no idea what they are doing.

I'm guessing good amount comes from the govt who like to see a Chinese F1 star soon, since they invested so much money in bring F1 to China. Local large business dream of the marketing possiblity of a local racing hero.

So the money is there. But too bad there is no local industry with enough experience to do anything decent.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Elder Member

Default Someone in ....

<A HREF="http://www.apexspeed.com/">f2000.com</a> can surely answer your questions.