Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Well, Champ Car still sucks. More than 1/2 the cars failed to finish, winner does so by 17 seconds,

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, Champ Car still sucks. More than 1/2 the cars failed to finish, winner does so by 17 seconds,

cars are ugly (tires too small), almost 1/4 of the drivers decided in the last week, too many cars with minimal sponsorship, etc.

25 or so minutes of yellow flag running and no real multicar incidents, just individual accidents and breakdowns.

Only thing worse was NBC's coverage. Thank God they only have three races. Timing/scoring and data on the broadcast was terrible and often inaccurate (had Sebas leading at the first break). Didn't even catch Sebas's crash and never even mentioned what happened to him (damn three time series champion!).

Announcers/color made errors that would make you think it was their first race.

And to think many thought this series was on the rebound. First outing was an embarrassment on all accounts. Second worst open wheel race to the first IRL race, IMO.

Mike S
Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM

having 1/2 the cars finishing in a spec-car series...FTMFL!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Champ Car just doesn't get it, but luckily for them, most other people in racing don't either.

It's beyond belief that the new car was still in this state at its first race. If they can't get the car sorted in a hurry there could be some good racing at the sharp end of this year's field, but I expect Long Beach and Houston will too closely resemble today's race.

As for the lack of sponsorship goes, well, it's hard to justify sponsoring a car in a series whose rating can't justify the cost. I'm sure KK lined up the first races of the year on network tv to get a ratings boost to make Champ Car more attractive.

Sucks that the best thing Champ Car had going for it is now struggling to make the show in his new Camery
Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, Terrible. The F1 race embarrassed it, especially the first 20 minutes.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM

otoh, they'll run the whole champ car series for less than one team's f1 budget
Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Default The wost thing, the WORST thing is the supposed "no blocking" rule.

You can't defend your position if you read the rule by the letter.

What a joke.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I work in both series and realize this obvious point. But money has no effect on race quality

broadcast quality, etc.

Watch an IMSA Lites race. $60K cars with tight, quaility racing, Watch Rolex GT. Watch SCCA Speed Touring and GT.

Champ Car died do to owner/board ego and mismanagement. But they have yet risen with this type of track, an average looking car, an inconsistent tv package, ever changing sponsors, contunual driver shifts, etc.

I hope it works out, but seeing the first race and the coverage, I am not optimistic.

MIke S
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Default agree about the street venues...

I thought the cars looked terrific in the test sessions at Laguna... the seabass track record lap put the capability of the car in perspective.

Problem with the series seems to be a lack of confidence on the part of the existing/prospective teams in the continued viability of the series. And Kalkhoven ain't no Bernie, so they're probably justified in being less than confident.

I think money does have some effect on race quality in that the particpants need to be confident enough about the future of the series to invest in development of their teams.

It sure would be nice to see this series on some real race tracks.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sigh....I really miss the early '90s. CART racing was so much better back then.

I used to go to several races in the mid-west, including Mid Ohio the Indy 500. Now I don't go to anything but the 500, and it's not even a CHAMP cars race any more. Open wheel racing in the US is gonna die in the next 10 years if something doesn't happen. Two series can't be supported by the fan base, and I fear that they're BOTH gonna dry up and blow away unless a solution is reached to re-integrate.