Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What do flagmen (flagpersons) talk about during an HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do flagmen (flagpersons) talk about during an HPDE?

Do they get involved in identifying driver behavior "problems" assuming those problems do not result in offs or spins? For example, do they communicate about a driver that is too slow, or erratic, or will not give a pass?

At my next HPDE, I might find a way to monitor that radio traffic.

I ask because we had a particular problem at a recent event (not safety related - just obstructive), and it was so recurrent that it should have been mentioned to the instructor and solved -- and if not solved, addressed with a black flag and pit drive-through.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They talk about everyone and everything.

I recently had an issue at my last event, where another participant accused me of harassing him and driving too aggressively. The man running the event (Watkins Glen) black flagged me for it, and I came into the pits and had a chat with him, and explained what happened (there was an incident at turn 8 where the other driver had a lapse in judgment). He then asked me to go with him to talk to the head instructor. He then told the head instructor everything he told me, adding "My corner workers have seen no aggressive or harassing behavior out of the #34 VW". The head instructor said "I'm going with the corner workers" and I was told to go back out on the track.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So how did the black flag get issued in the first place? Did the other guy pull in and complain?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Default I'm sure they're observing what is happening on the track, but I don't think it's their obligation

to report issues at a HPDE, namely in a group that has instructors in most cars. They should be giving the passing/faster driver behind you flag to the slower driver, tho.

When drivers are slower in high HP cars who are drag racing faster drivers in lower HP cars, it's the instructor's responsibility to tell the driver to point that faster driver by. When that doesn't happen, the faster driver should have his/her instructor talk to the instructor of the slower driver. If that doesn't happen, or, if it does and nothing changes in the next session, then the faster driver needs to talk to the event master.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default +1, it can be pretty entertaining to listen to sometimes...

...i have a scanner that my crew guy can use to monitor the corner worker and race control frequencies. He can pass along any info to me if needed. (car off, yellow at certain station, how much longer is left in a session, etc, etc). Some of the comments/conversations can be quite entertaining.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any radio scanner will be able to pick up their radio traffic

I think I might bring mine next event I go to just out of curiosity
Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default depends on who is running the HPDE and who is the voice of control

I frequently work F&C (Flagging and Comm) for HPDE's and generally we don't say anything over the radio. Not because we know you are listening in, but because if one person is blabbering on and on over the radio, a real emergency can't be called in. Radio silence is golden when on a radio network versus a landline network.

If there are other people on the corner with me, which more often than not I'm alone, then I will talk to that person about certain cars. If a certain car is causing problems, either from driving style or mechanical issues or from going off too much, then I'll call that in. And frequently the voice of control will make a snide comment about the car/driver.

In between sessions we might chat about certain cars. Frequently if there is a status update from an instructor or safety steward regarding driver behavior or a mechanical problem.

Really, we don't talk much over the radio (least the track I work at, each track is different). Though if you found us at lunch, you'd hear us talking crap about one car or praising another.

Least thats been my experience as a F&C worker. And that holds true if its HPDE or ALMS (which is next weekend, w00t!)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default someone complained, could be the driver or an instructor

control then decided to black flag him to bring him in for a chat to see whats up.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep..they talk about the idiot in the black car going four off AGAIN...and who blackflagging
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Default yeah, i've flagged at several HPDEs and we only spoke on the radio when necessary

i.e. car off on Turn 4; white BMW #34 hood unlatched, next corner black flag 'em; etc.

Quick Reply: What do flagmen (flagpersons) talk about during an HPDE?