License Plate Woes - unable to register green plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License Plate Woes - unable to register green plate

ive posted here before about trying to get a green license plate (and no front plate) and i got my hands on one finally, but the RMV wont let me register it!! AHH!!! ... it took me literally years in the making to get a green "m*******" plate

have any of you with the red plates just left the front plate off? have you ever been hassled?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it that no front plate is a moving violation now, and you get 2 points.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM

Default I've gotten a ticket for no front plate....

it was in addition to the speeding ticket...went to court and told them that I had since put a plate on and they let it go. I have no idea if it's actually a moving violation or not, so no help there, but guaranteed, you will be hassled with no front plate, especially if you get pulled over for any other reason
Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Does the RMV have more than one office? Can you try another one?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why won't the RMV let you register a green plate?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no way to transfer or get a new reg w/green plate...only way to have one is an old one in your name

I have a few in the garage, they are useless. My dad had one is his name in the early 90s, but let it expire. is it NOT possible to re-register a car on that plate. even if he still had it active, he could not transfer it to me - I could transfer the same registration number, but they would issue me new red plates. this information is right on the MA RMV website, very clearly spelled out.

but, for the 7 years I had a car registered in MA, I ran my red front plate for only 1 day per year (to pass inspection). got stopped plenty of times and never ticketed, knock on wood. it's up to you whether you want to risk the fine or potential points. I would assume that if you made some excuse about a broken plate bracket, had the plate with you, and subsequently put it back on the car, you could fight the ticket and win in court.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Default any equipment ticket is a moving violation

don't ask me about the ticket I paid for a burnt out brake light ~6 years ago. I would have challenged it if I realized it was going on my insurance.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:51 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

yea figured i would try this. the lady just said no and would not hear any of my sweet talking
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

i guess just cuz its the old style and theyre moving to the new style
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you can risk no red front plates, but..

once you make it to court, regardless of the outcome, it'll be on record. the next time you go to court, they will have your record and less likely lean in your favor.

it'll be an excuse to stop you.

also if you have anything else wrong, such as an expired inspection sticker or whatever, if the officer notices the front plate missing, i imagine it'll be harder to get out of the ordeal with a warning.

Quick Reply: License Plate Woes - unable to register green plate