New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Noob to forum, old to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to forum, old to Audi

Hi all, I'm considering an impromptu purchase on an A6 so decided to check in with you all to see how you love them.

New to here but an old Audi-ist from 1980 and an 86' 5000 also-the bad old days.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same story here. Had a Coupe GT in the 80's. Just bought a 2015 A6 3.0t. Love it. Well balanced car.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shadowcar
Same story here. Had a Coupe GT in the 80's. Just bought a 2015 A6 3.0t. Love it. Well balanced car.
Post some pictures of the A6... I would love to see it!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hours of Service
Post some pictures of the A6... I would love to see it!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24727215
Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by houseofcharm
Hi all, I'm considering an impromptu purchase on an A6 so decided to check in with you all to see how you love them.

New to here but an old Audi-ist from 1980 and an 86' 5000 also-the bad old days.

Well that sounds familiar. My Dad had an Audi 5000 but I don't recall it being terrible -- lived in Toronto and in those days they had something called the "Audi Card" that provided full maintenance and warranty coverage for 3 or 4 years (can't remember which) with no mileage limitation as I recall and car was fine. It was only after the Audi Card expired that a few things started to go wrong. Car was sold not too long thereafter.

Fast forward to mid-July of this year -- I picked up a new /15 A6 3.0T, Premium +, Bose, LEDs, Cold Weather and Sport Package. Lovely driving car -- fast, comfortable, shockingly economical when driven sanely and to my eye very aesthetically pleasing. I got a great deal and am happy with the purchase.

Not sure what you have been driving since your last Audi but I've been on a steady diet of Acuras (sold my beloved /06 TL with 140,000 miles to a good friend -- that car was best car I have ever had -- almost nothing broke in all those miles and still runs like a car with 50,000 miles). The one thing I have in back of my mind is that the Audi is no Honda/Acura and once warranty up is going to cost many times what the TL cost me in maintenance/repairs. Such being the case, I intend to keep the A6 for no more than 5 years and then let the next owner have the pleasure of any maintenance/repair issues. Not saying the Audi is of lesser quality than the Acura or it won't last as long -- just stating the obvious that with so much more equipment/electronics, etc. and sticker price of the A6 being twice that of the old TL, one has to expect significantly higher running costs.

There is however one other potential issue -- carbon buildup since this is a direct injection engine -- read up on it and take note. Too early to tell if the 3.0T (supercharged) engine is significantly affected but it is possible that this may become an issue down the road. Does not destroy engine but if intake and valves need to be "de-carboned" can get pricey. This is a problem with many DI engines but a bit of a concern that this could become an issue.

A few more great things about the A6: (i) in my opinion it drives smaller than it is (and one of my criteria for a new car was a good size trunk and back seat which the A6 most certainly has); (ii) it has a space saver spare tire and does not come equipped with those wretched run flat tires; (iii) and it feels just like.................wait for it.............my beloved TL, only better! Car does not come equipped with a dipstick to check your oil (you do it through the MMI which tells you the level) but for dinosaurs like me who actually like to pull a dipstick out of a tube and see, touch and smell the oil thankfully the tube is in place covered by a plug which can be removed and replaced with a dipstick (VAG part) that can be purchased. Take a good look at the engine compartment of the 3.0T -- again, aesthetics -- beautifully finished and not under some crappy plastic shroud -- nice job Audi! And the presence of the dipstick gives me an excuse to look at the engine -- bonus!

Best of luck with your decision. The A6 3.0T is a sweet car. Only time will tell if Audi's reliability has markedly improved from years past. I am hopeful that the ownership experience will be a pleasant one.

Best,
Jeff