Mt. Hamilton Drive: Saturday Aug. 10th @ 10:30AM SHARP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip report

<insert TPS cover sheet>

So....day off, decide to go do a pre-run of Saturday's drive. Takes me a little while to mosey on down to Livermore from San Rafael, looking at the parking lot / West-bound traffic on the other side of the freeway (gotta suck to live out there if there's that much traffic at ~10:30-11am). Get on the first stretch of the route. A number of the turns had gravel/rocks/pebbles/etc strewn on them, and having never driven this road before, I'm going a bit slow (well, slower than you 40min guys), especially in the 1.5 lane sections. Pass a recently (w/in the past few days?) crashed 240SX on the other side of the road, front wheel bent the wrong way, windshield spiderwebbed, dented, etc... See a VW Rabbit zip by me in the opposite direction (the only real oncoming traffic I saw the whole route).
Get to the Santa Clara county side, and WOO HOO, yellow line Road condition is pretty non-descript, until the ascent to Mt. Ham. Caltrans guys are hard at work, repaving a number of turns, a bunch of which had "Caution: Oil" (or something like that) signs. I'm not sure how slick they were (and didn't really want to test them), as they still looked quite wet. *note* probably don't want to wash your car before the drive, as that tar/pavement/etc kicks up behind your wheels.

Finally get to the Observatory , stretch, whiz, eat, blah blah.... Damn that was a long drive. (well, tack on another ~hour to the drive from Livermore) Head back down the other side, and Caltrans is working there too. Didn't see any pavement crews, but there were two big tractor things with giant-squeege things brushing the gravel off the road. Schweeeeeet. I hang back a bit (blind turns) until they wave me by. After a few minutes, there's a section of road that's really dusty (as in I'm-damn-glad-nobody-is-driving-in-front-of-me dusty). Look out my rear view mirror, and see a big dust cloud behind me. Clears up for a bit, then come upon another Caltrans crew working on the road (not quite sure what they were doing). After that it's all clear.

Didn't drive the 3rd leg of the route, as I had to do some stuff in SF and wanted to beat the traffic back.

<b>In a nutshell:</b>
- first 1/3 of first leg has some gravel/small rocks on a couple of turns
- see crashed red 240SX on side of road in first leg. drive safely
- third 1/3 of first leg has Caltrans oil slicks on freshly paved areas. very wet/slick looking
- Caltrans also working somewhere on first portion of second leg. 1 very dusty portion.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thank you sir! The 240Z was there last Sunday when I drove it.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:54 AM

opps forgot. let me email ryan and get back to you.