Tahoe ski report?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe ski report?!

Hey, i was headin' up to Tahoe this weekend.. just wonderin if anyone has been up there recently, and how good the snow is. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The snow is horrible.........we haven't had snow in a month....horrible cond. stay home

srsly
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Default hah.. yea i kinda figured

i went up 2 or 3 weeks ago, and i was blessed with a small snow storm, but i figured i would be pushin my luck if i went up this weekend
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM

see my kirkwood report a few posts down
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tahoe ski report! I went to kirkwood/heavenly/alpine/northstar

in the last 4 days. (compitition and skiing for fun)

basically, if you enjoy hard packed powder, go for it. I really enjoyed the snow, its consistent, the groomers keep it in good shape on the marked trails. For the most part, the snow is about = at all the resorts. The corderoy is very fast, and consisten. It has stayed cold enough to not create hardpack that you cant carve in (hardpack happens when it gets warm, then cold, and stays cold after being warm)the snow is hard, and packed, but its not sheeted, and doesnt feel icey. Its very fast, and fun. Also a good portion of the groomed runs have man made snow packed on top of the groomed trails. This makes for incredible soft corderoy in the morning, and makes for packs of small powder bumps and a interesting ride late in the day. All in all i really enjoy it, but if your a beginner at either skiing or snowboarding I would get up there early to enjoy the better conditions on the groomers in the morning.

The offpiste snow, and expert areas are very challenging. Mott canyon is a good example, the snow is hard, but just soft enough to let you get your edges into when jump turning one of the chutes. The snow is also very dry in the shaded areas, which makes it more forgiving. The coverage is terrible, in fact a lot of these runs should be closed because theres rocks/trees poking out everywhere, at least closed to the general public. I really enjoy this snow, its challenging and forgiven, but if you fall you'll probably slide a long way. I'd say snowboarding is near impossible offpist, (i do both so I'm allowed to say this :P) no matter which way you look at it, its incredibly difficult to manuver a snowboard in this kind of snow, snowboarding requires a bit more forgiving and softer snow IMO.

The best moguls ive seen were on the california side at heavenly, they are packed, well formed, and forgiving. The wind has trapped some packed powder in the mogul valleys, makeing them more forgiving and consistent. As the temps warm up, the bumps get softer, and slower. Really great time to go try out some of the moguls that are IN THE SUNLIGHT at heavenly, or northstar on the backside on polaris. The moguls that are in the shade have the dry hard feel to them, and are very fast. the snow behaves alot like the snow in the offpiste areas, not icey, but defienetly not soft.

The coverage in the marked areas is great, the coverage in the less patroled maintained areas is terrible. Its still enjoyable, because the snow that is at the resorts is dry, and has stayed dry because of the cold spell from 2 weeks ago. I hope this helps! I'm going back to tahoe again next weekend,

If it gets warm for a week or 2, I'd say the conditions are going to get a lot worse very quickly, theres enough snow still up there to have good consistent coverage on the mountains easterly slopes, but its on the verge of being absolutly terrible if it doesnt snow soon...

Sorry for all the crap.. i just dont like blanket statements of "tahoe sucks, stear clear!"

enjoy!
Tom

pray for snow
Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Was there a week ago saturday - waste of money......no real snow at all

at least on the north shore.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM

Default thanks for the detailed report

i'm going this weekend and again later in the month. now i know which skis to bring
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Default thanks for the details!

keep the reports coming =P
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And the Kingswoods stay at home for yet another week..... Could we please have some more snow!?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had the cheapest ski weekend evar at Diamond Peak a week ago

I enjoyed the lack of crowds, but the white stuff is packed hard.