Total Loss Insurance Claims

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Loss Insurance Claims

anyone here ever dealt with a 3rd party insurance company in a total loss claim? know your rights in such a situation? I had 21st century lowball me on my 96 audi a4...for only 8 grand...for basically a bone stock comparison to other 96 audi a4's going at dealers in the area..

they did not include in their appraisal...Rs4 Reiger full body kit, S3 Euro headlamps, H&R lowering springs, HID lighting.....nor the fact my sound equipment was custom boxed for my audi and i can't just drop it in some other vehicle without a bunch of other custom work unless i get the same car again...i know my car is worth more than this...with how clean it is and the extras...i also noticed that the appraiser took money off for the cars mileage AFTER the sell price it went for...if the car is sold obviously the mileage can't deduct more from that car..its what it sold for WITH that mileage...

do i stand a chance of reclaiming any of the cost for those aftermarket parts? thanks for any help you can provide...
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

no, insurance companies believe oem equipement to be worth more than aftermarket stuff, good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Depends on the insurance company, but i believe if its bolted on, your compensated.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Default the thing i dont get...

is that i was not the person at fault.....and yet they can screw me outta my car? or having another one just like it or even comparable? there's no way i can get the car i have now for the money they are offering me...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just had a claim on my modified car, and had it all covered.

I gave them a VERY detailed list of the mods, date installed, purchase price, etc, along with photos of the car. My car is insured "including" the mods, so when they went to appraise some damages and have them fixed, I was sure to include every inch of mods I'd done so they were included in the claim.

You can ask to have another appraiser look at the car, and arrange to meet him/ her in person when they inspect the car. Bring a list of all the mods along, and offer to dig up invoices/ receipts if necessary to prove the cost to them.

Do you have a rider or addendum to your policy that lists out "additional equipment" and the value? I'm guessing not. Sorry. You may be out of luck, as anything they didn't know about and didn't charge you incremental premiums for probably won't be covered.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, did you say OFFERING? Ahhhh so it's not a done deal.

If you're dealing with the company of someone who's at fault, then you have the upper hand. Prove out the cost of the mods - invoice, receipts, a listing of the "current replacement value" of each item on your car, and start with that as a negotiating tool. So you don't have to take their offer...

The state offers mediation services (free?) between you &amp; the insurance company... linky below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0100-insurance-guides/0100-automobile-series/automobile-claims-mediation-program.cfm">state of CA insurance mediation</a></li></ul>
Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you have to let your insurance know before hand and have it all filed properly

or the aftermarket parts will not be covered in an accident.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also wouldn't his/her insurance company work for him /her in their defense?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey...watchu and fred doing this sunday?

in town? gimmie a call.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Default Not true. State Farm (and others) covers anything on the car, don't need to know about it

Regardless of what his policy is, since the accident was not his fault, the other party should be paying in full.

Quick Reply: Total Loss Insurance Claims