Vacation BT: What to see and where to eat in San Fran. and Wine Country?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacation BT: What to see and where to eat in San Fran. and Wine Country?

My Gf and I are heading to San Francisco in Mid May and will be there for a week. We intended to head over to either Napa or Sonoma Valley for a night or two as well. So, what should we absolutely see in SF and where are some awesome places to eat.

Also, which part of Wine Country is better, Napa or Sonoma? What are some suggestions of where to stay, eat and the vineyards to see?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Napa is more crowded but greater variety of food and wine. To eat, French Laundry..is the best and

there are many interesting wineries...Kuletos, Terra Valentine, Lede..++++ more. Stay in the valley, Yountville or St. Helena and enjoy the best of food and wine. Also, great driving roads around Sonoma and Napa.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Napa = grand and famous. Sonoma = cozier and intimate. A generalization, but

it depends what you want.

Make sure to drive up or down highway 1 north of San Francisco. If you like funky rustic, try the Timber Cove Inn. It's in the middle of nowhere, perched on cliff above the sea. Surprisingly good food every time I've stopped there. Sonoma a short hop inland from there, and Napa just beyond.

In town, make sure to hit the Ferry building with all it's food shops. Fog City diner is a popular stopping point for comfort food. If the weather is nice, and you want a total greasy spoon experience that is totally San Francisco, try Red's Java house under the Bay Bridge on the pier. They are open mornings and early afternoons. For a similar experience later, hit the High Dive next door.

In the city: the setting is nothing special, but I really like the place below for terrific family Italian:

Mescolanza
2221 Clement Street (x 24th Avenue)
San Francisco, CA 94121
Tel: 668-2221

The Straits Cafe serves up super yummy Singaporean food (hubby is from Malaysia). The wok friend mussels are a must for appetizers. Ayam kalasan, Ikan Pangang, Ayam Rendang, garlic noodles and chow kway teow are all favourites.

4th floor above Bloomingdales
845 Market St suite 597
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 538-8490<ul><li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/verdegrrl/PhotoAlbum30.html">some pics</a></li></ul>
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sonoma is personal fav - stay at the Kenwood Inn, dinner at the girl & the fig

Napa is very nice, but very commercial and seems to try too hard.

Sonoma is just a cool wine country chill place kinda place.

They aren't that far apart, stay in one, visit the other. From Sonoma near Glen Ellen, take Trinity (road) to Dry Creek, stay left on Oakville for a VERY fun drive between the two valleys.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you do want to do FL - check the reservation process
Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I ended up having to pull over for a friend to throw up after our Sideways g2g drive through one of

those roads!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That route is much better by bicycle :-)
Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Yea, kenwood is a beautiful place, any resturant around there would be fun to eat at.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are several threads on this in the archives, but

in San Francisco, I would go to Alcatraz, at least if it is a nice day. Make reservations in advance . . .

As for restaurants, for a party of two in San Francisco, I like Danko, Fleur de Lys, La Folie, and perhaps Quince for high-end dining and Chapeau!, Slanted Door, House, and Frascati for a little bit lower-key, potentially less romantic, experience.

Between Napa and Sonoma, I am a Russian River fan. The Hotel Healdsburg is great, as is the Vintner's Inn. I would visit Martinelli, Swan, Rochioli, Coffaro, and Seghesio, finishing the day at J (where you get a bite of food with each wine), and dine at Cyrus, Dry Creek Kitchen, or Ravenous.

If you decide to drive to Napa from Sonoma, you should go to Pride on the drive over (call for an appointment) and then hit Del Dotto (again, call for an appointment). If you like mountain wines, I might also swing by Cain (call first) and Keenan on the way down the mountain from Pride.

Bouchon is probably my favorite Napa county lunch spot, although Bistro Jeanty is pretty damn good as well. The French Laundry, of course, is Napa county's crown jewel, but Terra, Tra Vigne, and Mustard's are all fabulous. And, I'm told that ad hoc is worth a visit. While there are countless wineries in both Napa and Sonoma that are great to visit, you have to narrow the list somehow, and on my list other Napa wineries worth visiting are Chappellet and Shafer. Both require a call for an appointment.

Have fun,

Andrew
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

kudos to you if you can ride that!!! I couldn't.