Pacific Northwest Discussion

Alright smart guys (and girls), I have a high-flow cat question I'm reasking here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright smart guys (and girls), I have a high-flow cat question I'm reasking here...

I'm posting this in the local forum here, as well as my TT forum for y'all to ponder and respond to. My engineers and I are going round and round together about the necessity or actual performance of high-flow cats. I have equal number of guys saying they are helpful, and those that say no. I'm tempted to, instead of purchasing expensive aftermarket cats, modify a set of stock cats that Mr. Schwing has lying around. Whether it'd be punching them out, or building my own filter screen, I don't know.

The other debate is whether or not to do a Y-junction behind the cat at all. There are a few of my racing peeps who feel it would save weight and be equally as efficient to run one single pipe all the way, then split it into two at the muffler-exit to retain the dual-exhuast look we have now (which I prefer). Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts or preferences on what brand or company of muffler to use as well? If I go with an after-cat Y-split (like we have stock), I will probably install 2 mufflers in line with each exhaust pipe.

I will eventually perform the downpipe swap, but I just don't have the money now, and 99% of this project will be custom fabbed by me and a couple buddies at their race/performance shop locally and my home. Until then, the stock downpipe will be there, but the exhaust diameter is negotiable right now to set up for future DP modding. I'm assuming 3-3.5" pipe will be appropriate, but would there be any benefit to 4"? This is presupposing it'll fit of course.

I might have some more questions, but they are eluding me at this hour, so I'll chime in more if anyone responds to this book I just wrote.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to your input on my next project for the TIE FTR!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup, they help, more so on Forced Induction cars

A straight pipe will help even more by a few HP. But only a few over a good HFC, & no CEL with the HFC.

2 similar sized pipes will flow more then one pipe of similar size, or slightly bigger. It's all about the cross sectional area.