Pacific Northwest Discussion

Anyone in Seattle got summer tires uses during winter time? Reconmended? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in Seattle got summer tires uses during winter time? Reconmended? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where do you plan on driving?

If you're new to the Pacific NW, we don't get significant snow here in the winter (1-3 days of measurable, stay-on-the-ground snow) If you're planning on staying in the larger populated areas, it's unlikely you'll NEED dedicated snow tires. If you want to get around in the "lowlands" a regular all season tire is about all you'll need.

If you're running a high performance dry weather tire, you won't want to go out in the snow or freezing weather. The compound of these tires is not suitable for these conditions.

If you're planning on doing much skiing/snowboarding or going over the mountain passes often, I would highly recommend a set of dedicated snowtires.

I took the OEM sport tires that came with my A4(Dunlop SP8000E) up to the pass. ONCE. Never again, no way, no how. I slid nearly 20 feet from a 20 mph stop on packed snow. I now have a set of Dunlop Wintersport M2's for mountain driving (I'm an ex-snowboard instructor, I still go up to the mountain 2x a week in the winter)

You really need to better define your driving habits and conditions to decide on whether you can live with summer tires in the winter.

Trust me, you should plan on parking the car if there's snow on the ground and you don't at least have all season tires....
Old 09-26-2002, 11:40 PM

Default Hey thanks a lot, think I am just going to spend some $$....

getting winter tire package from tirerack... 16" steel wheel with blizzak LM-22. After shipping and getting a adjustable wrench, it came out about $800, good buy?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good advice...and good choice of tires. Check out our local quattro (oops...Audi Entheusiasts Club)

...chapter for our winter driving clinics. Since weather (snow) is required we can't set "advance" dates, but we usually try for mid-December at Stevens Pass ski area...they are kind enough to "give" us use of 1 or 2 parking lots. We try to do some of the skill exercises from our driver-safety training events. It is a totally different driving world on super-slick surfaces and tires are the key!

Some club members are talking about a trip to Colorado to the Bridgestone Winter Driving School about the end of December. Last year we brought out one of their instructors for a 2-day driving school at Stevens. The first day was aimed at beginner/novice drivers with the second for intermediate/advanced stuff...an incredible experience!

e-mail me if you wish more info.

Cheers,
Old 09-30-2002, 07:19 AM
Elder Member

Default i second the wintersport m2s...

i got them from Tirerack last year w/ steel wheels for probably $650ish (16"). I don't have any experience with Blizzaks.

One nice thing about the wintersports- dry performance is really pretty good. I drove up to Whistler, where it was dry from Seattle to Everett, and from Vancouver all the way to Whistler. Really didn't seem too loud or mushy in response.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Winter tires on OEM rims?

I just moved to Eugene from NoCal and am running S-03's on 17" RK's. I still have my Contis on the stock 16" alloy wheels. I will be heading up to the snow occaisionally this winter and want to run some winter tires (thanks for the suggestions below). Should I get a set on steel rims, or should I just take the Conti's off the OEM alloy rims and use them?
Old 10-01-2002, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Use the stockers!

Unless you plan on using the contis as track tires (bwahaha) or plan on putting track tires on the stock rims (why? if you've got S-03's?)
definitely put snow tires on the stock rims. There's no reason to sacrifice looks that badly (i.e. steel rims) for winter. If the conti's have only a few thousand miles (low treadwear), you might find someone local who'd give you $50-$75 bux for the set of tires...

You can put a set of performance winter tires (M2's, LM-22's) on the stock rims and get good dry and snow handling, yet still have a decent looking winter audi.